Rebarrel 270 wby into a 6.5 wby

To Gilmillan1 ,
Look at McWhorter Custom Rifles . Tim McWhorter . mcwhorterrifles.com
They help sponsor a hunting program called " Brush Country Monsters ", on The Sportsman's Channel , and they have touted the virtues of the 6.5 Weatherby Magnum for several years . They sell complete custom rifles in this caliber , and I believe that they used to do custom gunsmith work . They also sold die sets .

DMP25-06

To Gilmillan1 ,
Look at McWhorter Custom Rifles . Tim McWhorter . mcwhorterrifles.com
They help sponsor a hunting program called " Brush Country Monsters ", on The Sportsman's Channel , and they have touted the virtues of the 6.5 Weatherby Magnum for several years . They sell complete custom rifles in this caliber , and I believe that they used to do custom gunsmith work . They also sold die sets .

DMP25-06

Agreed.

McWhorter has been building the 6.5 Weatherby for several years now, and has lots of data on it. My shooting partner just bought one of their rifles (used) in 6.5 Weatherby, but he contacted McWhorter about it and they were very helpful in getting load info and specs on the rifle.

[/QUOTE=MudRunner2005;920736]I would venture to say that with the long weatherby neck and the freebore, I would guess 1500-2000 rounds. But that's simply a guess. Could be, could be less...[/QUOTE]

I just compared its barrel life to the .264 Winchester's but never accounted for the Weatherby's better neck. He would have to make sure he got a barrel that has freebore in it though when he gets a new one.

[/QUOTE=MudRunner2005;920736]I would venture to say that with the long weatherby neck and the freebore, I would guess 1500-2000 rounds. But that's simply a guess. Could be, could be less...

I just compared its barrel life to the .264 Winchester's but never accounted for the Weatherby's better neck. He would have to make sure he got a barrel that has freebore in it though when he gets a new one.[/QUOTE]

Freebore is based on the chamber reamer's design and specs. But yeah, I would think for decent throat life that freebore would be a must.

I just compared its barrel life to the .264 Winchester's but never accounted for the Weatherby's better neck. He would have to make sure he got a barrel that has freebore in it though when he gets a new one.

Freebore is based on the chamber reamer's design and specs. But yeah, I would think for decent throat life that freebore would be a must.[/QUOTE]

Ya i know that I'm just saying he needs to make sure he orders a barrel with a freebored chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.