Rebarrel 270 wby into a 6.5 wby

gilmillan1

well, I wanted a 6.5 caliber rifle, and sinceI dont want a 270 weatherby, i decided to rebarel it into a 6.5 wby. I already have about 50-60 pieces of brass. I just would need some dies.

does anyone know a good gunsmith that can do this kind of work?

Does anyone know the barrel life of the 6.5 wby shooting 140 grain bergers?

GIl

I am strongly considering this caliber if I need to replace my .257 Wby Accumark barrel. I bought it new, and it's gotten to where it won't shoot, and I doubt it even has 200 rounds down the barrel. Bought it in 2008, might call Weatherby about it, after I let me smith take a look at it. When I clean it it has horrific high and low spots in the barrel. Some are so tight that I have to force the jag through and hit the rod handle with my hand to make it push through... Might have Weatherby pay for a new barrel to be put on. If so, it will be a .264 Wby Mag.

well, I wanted a 6.5 caliber rifle, and sinceI dont want a 270 weatherby, i decided to rebarel it into a 6.5 wby. I already have about 50-60 pieces of brass. I just would need some dies.

does anyone know a good gunsmith that can do this kind of work?

Does anyone know the barrel life of the 6.5 wby shooting 140 grain bergers?

GIl
You need to order the reamer of your choice.

I think you may be better off going with a .264 Winchester instead of the Weatherby wildcat. Dies and components are easy to get for it. Brass can be made from 7mm Remington Mag casings. Performance would be very similar as well. The .264 doesn't have the cool wildcat vibe such as a 6.5 WBY, but it is still a very respectable and proven cartridge.

i wanted the weatherby because I already had the brass and because the weatherby is less hard on the throats.

If you built a 264 Win, you can still use your Weatherby brass.
Yep, belted magnums headspace off the belt, not the shoulder. You would have no problems blowing the walls and shoulder out to .264 Win after running it through FL .264 WM sizing die.

When I built my 6.5 weatherby I called reading to ask about making me a set of dies they had a neck die and seater set on the shelf as for a full length die I just bought the s type 7mm weatherby die and the neck bushings to fit the 6.5 as far as brass just one pass through the neck die with either 270 or 257 brass and you are done . And yes weather by brass (made by Norma) is a little pricey but very good quality and I have been able to pick up once fired 270 wby brass very reasonably priced on gun broker and other sites

ok so going back to the original question, does anyone know a good smith who can rebarel my rifle in 6.5 weatherby.

Gil

I just looked there is no part number just 6.5 x 257 wby and where the part number goes it says custom

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts