Reasons to swap barrels

jtmoose

What are some of the reasons you've swapped barrels? I have a 22" SS varmint 7mm-08 and I'm wondering if it's worth the costs to change barrels - maybe to a light varmint contour in 308.

I am assuming you mean choosing betwen swapping barrels or replacing this rifle with an off the shelf model. It depends, IMO, in the type of performance you're after. A factory "off the shelf" rifle is unlikely to perform like a custom rifle and to make the modifications necessary to get that performance will cost as much as a custom rifle.
If your current rifle is a factory model then I wouldn't bother with a new barrel. I'd just take the action and build one on that foundation. Therefore, IMO, "is it worth it" depends on the performance you want.

No, it's a rifle I built on a Savage action. Only benefits I see are caliber and contour changes but not sure if a new caliber and saving a little weight are worth the money to me.

No, it's a rifle I built on a Savage action. Only benefits I see are caliber and contour changes but not sure if a new caliber and saving a little weight are worth the money to me.

Oh; OK 'jt" .. I see where you're going. The only real advantage I see in swapping out to .308 is the wider range of bullets you might find available for that one. But that advantage alone would not, IMO, make the swap cost effective.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.