Reason you don't see many big bore guns not using suppressors?

LennyITI

I dont see many if any suppressors on the larger bore guns. Reason Im akong is I have a 375 cheytac on order and I saw that the manufacture of the gun has a suppressor made for it, is there a reason you dont see any?

If you're referencing the big guns you see that ELR shooters are using versus big bore in general with hunting then yes sable tapped into some of the reasons being weight. The unlimited class for example is 40 lbs max with bipod at the KO2M and others can be 45 or 50 lbs also note folks being able to shoot in a light class have to be under 25 lbs.

So yes weight is a factor
But more of a issue is the heat mirage caused by the suppressor even with a cover, its bad enough at times dealing with the heat coming off the barrel let alone a hot suppressor when shooting under a time restraint at targets with distance.

The other reason is the possible distortion of the view through the scope for folks running anywhere from a 50 to a 80 moa rail under their scope, you add another 13" to 15" onto a 32 to 39" barrel with the scope angle and its possible to run into some issues.

Those are some of the reasons suppressors are not as popular in the big cal ELR set ups.

I am osoh
JH

Yep...they big, they heavy, they expensive, and add a lot of heat distortion. I have one I can run on my .375 Snipetac. I rarely do because it doesn't cut down the recoil like a good brake. The difference in recoil reduction between suppressed and braked was substantial with the previous .408 Cheytac and my current rifle.

Some people do run suppresors instead of brakes. A big bore suppressor is expensive and heavy and might not be the best recoil reducer. The Sus-Tac on this Steyr HS-50 turned that gun into ALMOST a puddytat (take that profanity filter) and made it the first .50BMG that wasn't distinctly unpleasant for me to drive. I hate shooting 50's usually and most of the suppressed .50's I've been behind weren't really much more pleasant than a braked .50. That Steyr is heavy as balls and the suppressor was surprisingly effective at mitigating both blast and recoil and I enjoyed shooting it. There's me on the top and the rifle's owner below. This suppressor is available in South Africa but I'm pretty certain it's not available here in the States. I noticed that in South Africa since suppressors are almost ubiquitous that they seem to have a lot of affordable and excellent suppressors like the Recoil Reaper (those are amazing, compact and effective with blast and recoil) and the Sus-Tac line which has been stellar on everything I've seen them on.

20190821_164128.jpg

barry.jpg

I had an SRT suppressor on my .338LM and it made a huge difference in felt recoil.
Rem 700 with B&C stock. The recoil was comparable to an unbraked .243Win.
I'm surprised others are saying that suppressors aren't effective at reducing recoil.

If you're referencing the big guns you see that ELR shooters are using versus big bore in general with hunting then yes sable tapped into some of the reasons being weight. The unlimited class for example is 40 lbs max with bipod at the KO2M and others can be 45 or 50 lbs also note folks being able to shoot in a light class have to be under 25 lbs.

So yes weight is a factor
But more of a issue is the heat mirage caused by the suppressor even with a cover, its bad enough at times dealing with the heat coming off the barrel let alone a hot suppressor when shooting under a time restraint at targets with distance.

The other reason is the possible distortion of the view through the scope for folks running anywhere from a 50 to a 80 moa rail under their scope, you add another 13" to 15" onto a 32 to 39" barrel with the scope angle and its possible to run into some issues.

Those are some of the reasons suppressors are not as popular in the big cal ELR set ups.

I am osoh
JH
Thanks for sharing that information and all of it makes sense. I run a SiCo Harvester 300 on a 300WM Kimber M/A (26") - 8#1oz. loaded. And on a 20" .308 R5 R700 for PRS so I haven't encountered those considerations. Perspective really helps for making future choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.