Rear shooting rest for hunting

here Is a photo of the rugged ridge rear support. Weighs 3-4 oz. Fits in your pocket
I use this and I also have a tab gear bag. They both are great but carrying the Rugged Ridge is easier, so it's what I typically use.

Hey guys! Hope everyone is well. I am looking for recommendations for a rear bag for hunting applications, not the bench. I would like it to be lightweight with enough stiffness that I can lay it flat or stand it vertically if I need to change the height for my shooting.

I am shooting a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM with a Manners EH1 stock and an Atlas bipod.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Happy Hunting!

Victoria
I use the round pad you sit on for my rear pad hunting (it is black on one side and Camo on the other). I clip it on my pack and I can use it to sit on and/or pad for rear of gun. It works great and is very light. I squeeze it to raise and lower the butt end of my rifle.

If in the back country, think what you can use that is dual use for the things you have on hand already. I still have a sock stuffed with rice , but that stays at home. That was the go to for many years as you can eat it in an emergency.

I have Box to Bench Precision bag and it is very light, but not quite as rigid as I like. It is also something else in your bag to carry.

Do you have to carry a beanie, fleece, gator, etc? If so, this may fit into a small stuff sack and be the same.

I have a sleeping bag liner, that is about the size of a rear bag. It would work too.

If in the back country, think what you can use that is dual use for the things you have on hand already. I still have a sock stuffed with rice , but that stays at home. That was the go to for many years as you can eat it in an emergency.

I have Box to Bench Precision bag and it is very light, but not quite as rigid as I like. It is also something else in your bag to carry.

Do you have to carry a beanie, fleece, gator, etc? If so, this may fit into a small stuff sack and be the same.

I have a sleeping bag liner, that is about the size of a rear bag. It would work too.
Great advice, thank you. I like the idea of carrying duel purpose items. Less weight equals less pounding on my knees.

Thanks again. Victoria

For a lightweight bag I use a Tab Gear.
Also use my WieBad simple shooting mat.
serves multi purpose duty as a mat, rear support, ground cloth under glassing tarp to sit on, or layout gear on, or under sleeping bag.
8CF47285-EBAE-4B55-B8E9-88654BA6E100.jpeg

I also like to multi purpose items where
Possible.
9DDD68CA-8D44-4009-B1E6-8BB180C74E6C.jpeg86AA8B38-3ECA-41F8-9B80-47731D350D25.jpeg930E9E56-EEB4-4CE0-A302-506C6BFE9420.jpegAB2AFF8F-C8C5-4CDB-9658-A3A2391913CB.jpeg359977AF-BC72-44DC-A5EE-6EEBE4F2E32D.jpeg6D6D38AD-218B-4238-A7BB-0BEDA9E02350.jpeg0FB4CE3B-D68F-4FA5-BC00-C65EF4D058B3.jpeg4CBD1400-AAC1-4021-9C96-EC9B25E3654B.jpegA4AD0DC6-F57B-46CA-BEE9-73A5FCB6C836.jpeg

I like that idea.. THANKS!

Something I've been using is two pair of wool socks with each pair stuffed individually like they'd be in your drawer so they are in the shape of a cylinder or hot dog buns. Then I put those into a cheap roll top style dry bag that I got in a multi pack of from Walmart. With both pair in there, it can be used as a rectangle, on any side. And if you use it on the long edge, it's easy to form it to the stock because it sits between the sock pairs. And you'll also have your extra socks that you may need.

Check out the Floyd Shooting Systems rear precision pod. It's lightweight and easy to carry in the field. I can shoot practically as well in the field with it and my Stoney Point pole cat front rest as I can from a bench with sandbags. I think I've seen them advertised on this site. We had three kids use them to kill their first deer last year. Really helps kids with holding the rifle's weight and holding steady.

Hey guys! Hope everyone is well. I am looking for recommendations for a rear bag for hunting applications, not the bench. I would like it to be lightweight with enough stiffness that I can lay it flat or stand it vertically if I need to change the height for my shooting.

I am shooting a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM with a Manners EH1 stock and an Atlas bipod.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Happy Hunting!

Victoria
I've been using Boxtobench.com rear bag. Extremely light, firmness is great, clip it on outside of my pack for easy access. Makes good pillow napping against a tree.

I have a long range only Wedge in gitlite fill and it works well for game. Also use my mini sticky game changer with standard fill. I have the uberlight rear squeeze bag that's been sold on here that weighs 1.8oz its not the steadiest but man it's light.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.