Rear Rifle Support on Tripod: Method of Use?

Comancheria

Folks,

I am awaiting delivery of a complete Outdoorsman's Tripod/Head/Saddle assembly--together with a rear rifle support--i.e, a kind of fourth leg that attaches to a leg on the tripod to hold the butt while making a shot. I believe that I have read and considered the small amount of information and comments that are available. I think I pretty much understand the pros and cons. I will be trying the product out and who knows--the cons--weight, price, and fuss, may win out and I may end up using it as an expensive kayak anchor. In any case, I am interested in how you adjust the thing and most especially, how you relate your body to the rifle once it is set up on this system.

I found one excellent comment on an older thread on this website by Trent Swanson, quoting his own article that he wrote for Western Hunter a number of years ago in which he says in part:

"The adjustments are quick and easy, especially with the Outdoorsmans Pan Head. First, place your rifle into the Rifle Rest, and then use the Pan Head to aim your rifle at the intended target. When you get the sights close, tighten the Pan Head while supporting the butt of your rifle, and then move the LRRS into place. Look through your scope to verify that your sights are aligned appropriately. If you need to make fine adjustments to your windage, gently loosen the windage adjustment on the Pan Head as well as the lower attachment point of the LRRS. Move your rifle, Pan Head with Rifle Rest, and LRRS all as one unit, and then tighten down those adjustments once your sights are aligned. To make fine adjustments to the elevation, simply twist the micro-adjustment screw just below the Y-shaped rear stock cradle on the LRRS. Once your adjustments are made, you should be able to peer through your scope and gently press the trigger while cradling the rifle."

This is a pretty complete and concise statement as to the method for using this product. However, I am wondering whether there are any other folks among you who have experience with it as well that you can add to my store of information. Or, for that matter, with the similar, but now discontinued Stoney Point product. I realize it is not a widely-used product and I appreciate any information you might be able to provide.

Best regards,

Russ

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of adjustments at a critical moment. Still, sometimes you have to be high enough to shoot over cover.

I would think a lot of use & practice would help you get comfortable with it. Also you could mark the legs and the rear support, when adjusted to a comfortable height. That should help for a faster mounting. Your tripod height won't change too much, with normal up & down shots, but the support positioning will.

If an animal is on the move, that means more adjustments. I would think it will take a lot of practice to shoot accurately at longer ranges. Let us know how it works out.

As one who hunts on a tripod quite regularly with animals on the move. Keep it simple and practice a lot!

Setting up for the first single shot you can prep a lot. Problems quickly arise when your target decides to show up 80 yards the opposite direction.

You can get good, really good just by practicing. Practice in real target sizes and expect it to open up. But again practice on real target sizes and you'll be surprised how well you do.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.