Rear bag suggestion

swampbug

I have a new 338 LM build. It's a heavy gun built on a AI chassis and has a flat bag rider in the rear.
I'm struggling with my rear bag support. I have several rear bags, TAB, Armageddon, Precision, that I use for my lighter guns and they all work pretty well. I can set up and then squeeze them for fine tuning the aim. The problem with the 338 is it is heavy and tends to crush the rear bags which makes it difficult to fine tune the aim.
So any suggestions for a good rear bag setup for a heavy Magnum gun that still allows you control the aim point. I shoot mainly from the prone position.
Thx

I have a new 338 LM build. It's a heavy gun built on a AI chassis and has a flat bag rider in the rear.
I'm struggling with my rear bag support. I have several rear bags, TAB, Armageddon, Precision, that I use for my lighter guns and they all work pretty well. I can set up and then squeeze them for fine tuning the aim. The problem with the 338 is it is heavy and tends to crush the rear bags which makes it difficult to fine tune the aim.
So any suggestions for a good rear bag setup for a heavy Magnum gun that still allows you control the aim point. I shoot mainly from the prone position.
Thx
Swampbug
I have a AI AX AICS chassis (chassis, action, barrel a little heavy) and I installed a CKT Ultimate Rail Pod instead of using a bag. It allows for precise elevation adjustments. Works great for me in prone. Bi pod in the front and Rail pod in rear. I shoot 1,000yd and it is steady. It is expensive $160.00, but I like it. CKT Precision has several models.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Last edited:

My favorite! Fits all my rifles.

For the past two seasons I have been using a Pump Pillow for all my competition shooting. Just returned from the NF ELR shoot in WY about 5am this morning and I used it with my 338LM for the match. Worked great and gives a large range of adjustment. It's also very light.