reamers ????????????

dave manson , JGS or dave at pacific precision
dont buy one from a supplier get it from the source.
UB

Buy your reamer from either Dave Kiff or Manson. Cost is $135-150 normally and delivery is normally less than 30 days.

Those are the two top in that field. Too much money in a barrel and chamber to scrimp $10-15 on a reamer. Seen it and they normally regret it.

BH

Hi i get all mine from David Kiff at Pacific Precision we are building long range target rifles andd at the zerp range of 300 yards we are getting 5 shot groups at around or under 1/2". He has also worked with me on my 338WBX an improved 338Edge with 60 degree shoulder he will set up the throught length from a dummy round with projectile seated to be exactly where you want it. He is the best for price and accuracy. Now only get a removable piloted reamer and see if you can borrow a set of pilots or buy the pilots aswell if you have a fixed pilot you are gambeling that it will precisly fit your barrel and the pilot will likely score your rifling instead of floting around the pilot.

Cheers Bill
Australia

wild bill that 338WBX an improved 338Edge sounds like something i would like. please give me a little more details on it. i was looking for a 338-300rum reamer but hell if you can have it improved that would be better

Hi Jeff and Doc i am in the process of building it at the moment i am slowly getting the components togethor as i am on a limited budget so i have to sell things and save to do it right the first time. I spoke with J D Jones before i started the reamer design as he uses 60 degree shoulders on some of his chamberings and is having no troubles in single shot pistols and rifles with them. David Kiff also helped with the specifications Here my reamer soecifications on the shoulder .533, base .548, neck .369 length from base to shoulder 2.462, max case length 2.840, neck length .331 and loaded with a 300gr Sierra the OAL touching the lands should be 3.900" you could also go with a 15 thou body taper and a 40 degree shoulder if you were into an improved edge basicaly a 338-300RUM Improved. With the 60 degree shoulder i should have very minimal case streching on firing and it should be very stable i will be shooting the 300gr Sierra MAtchKings hopefully at around 3000fps in a 30" barrel.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild Bill, the reason I asked about collapsing shoulders is, I chambered 2 barrels for a customer, 1 in 338 x 378 Wby. and 1 in 30 x 378 Wby. Both had 50 degree shoulders and both had problems with collapsing shoulders.

Hi Doc i will see mabe the brass was to soft in the shoulder area and to thin we wil see i suppose. i will be using 375 ultra cases and forming a false shoulder with a 338 ultra die and when i fl size i will just bump them 1 thou.
Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.