Reamers for noobs - 7mm RSAUM

fightthenoise

I'm about to order a Tikka prefit from Carbon6. It's going to be chambered in 7mm RSAUM, but I want to shoot 180 ELD-M's. From perusing the threads by those who have come before me, SAAMI freebore is 0.090, but I need something like 0.250 or so to seat the 180 ELD-M at a reasonable length and still have 0.020 jump or so to the lands. I'm not worried about magazine length.

So I need to send Carbon6 a reamer. Do I load up a dummy round and have one made? If so, who should I go to for that? Or are there reamers out there floating around that I could rent? Something tells me I'm not the first fella that has needed this reamer, and it would cut down on my lead time quite a bit if I could borrow an existing one. I've never had a barrel custom chambered. I've done prefits, but they've always been SAAMI.

If you are planning something 'special', you need to have your own reamer. As what you want is longer throat than SAAMI, the throat could be lengthened using a 'throating reamer' in the same set-up the chamber is cut in.

I learned today about the uni-throater from PTG. Gonna let Carbon6 chamber it to SAAMI spec and then extend the throat myself.

Will Carbon6 throat with a dummy round? If you have the parts, that might be the easiest route. The uni-throaters are pretty expensive for one off use.

Rent the Uni-Throater from 4D. Provided you're sticking with SAAMI neck that's all you need.
While Carbon6 could/would easily use a custom reamer I sincerely doubt they would get into custom smithing with throating reamers, etc.
It's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.