Reamer Question(Figured it out, I think)

cuutter

Hello everyone, I have a situation with a reamer I can't figure out. The reamer is a 308 win. match reamer with a .3425" NK, .089" FB 1deg.-30. I specd out that I only use Lapua Brass that I FL size every time I reload. Well I have done 3 barrels with the reamer, set it up where there is just a touch of resistance when closing the bolt on the GO gauge. Well none of the chambers will not chamber a Lapua FL sized Brass or a Lapua Loaded round. For kicks I hand reamed one of the barrels in till I could just close the bolt with a Lapua Round and found that I could with a little pressure close the bolt on the NO-GO gauge. Know I have contacted the reamer maker today and waiting a response. I have bought many reamers from him and never had a problem. He makes A1 reamers and I have a feeling I may have missed something while using this reamer. Any ideas on what may be happening? Just looking for opinions in till the reamer maker gets back to me.

Thanks in advanced for you thoughts.

Wayne

Well heres the latest. I had 1 barrel left that I had not hand reamed. Chambered it to the GO gauge like normal. The rifle will chamber everything I throw at it EXCEPT Lapua that has been FL sized shot out of my Steyr. The rifle will (upon checking)
will chamber Lapua Brass right out of the box. So it looks like you will have to start out with new Lapua brass. I did tell the reamer maker that all of my buddy's and myself use Lapua Brass out of our Tactical Rifles.
I guess I will go back to the lathe with the other 2 barrels and set them back.
Thanks for all of your input on this. That's why I love this site.
Thanks again
Wayne

Last edited:
Re: Reamer Question

Hello everyone, I have a situation with a reamer I can't figure out. The reamer is a 308 win. match reamer with a .3425" NK, .089" FB 1deg.-30. I specd out that I only use Lapua Brass that I FL size every time I reload. Well I have done 3 barrels with the reamer, set it up where there is just a touch of resistance when closing the bolt on the GO gauge. Well none of the chambers will not chamber a Lapua FL sized Brass or a Lapua Loaded round. For kicks I hand reamed one of the barrels in till I could just close the bolt with a Lapua Round and found that I could with a little pressure close the bolt on the NO-GO gauge. Know I have contacted the reamer maker today and waiting a response. I have bought many reamers from him and never had a problem. He makes A1 reamers and I have a feeling I may have missed something while using this reamer. Any ideas on what may be happening? Just looking for opinions in till the reamer maker gets back to me.

Thanks in advanced for you thoughts.

Wayne

If the reamer is set up using the datum line to head space then the neck will be longer and
the body will will be a little shorter due to the 40o shoulder angle.

If you know someone with a 308 head space gauge try it, if it will close on the standard
308 gauge then the brass needs to be sized using 308 dies, if it won't close on the
standard 308 gauge then the reamer and headspace gauge is base on the datum line
and standard 308 brass will be a little to long.

When I speck. reamers I ask to have the neck / shoulder junction the same length as the
parent case to make fire forming new brass easy .

Also when you spec. out a reamer you are responsible for any problems based on what
you ask for. So don't be surprised if the reply from the reamer maker is .(IT IS JUST LIKE
YOU ASK).

I don't know if this is your problem but it might be and it's easy to check out.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

Thanks J E. All I specd. out was I use Lapua Brass that I FL size every reload. When I setup the headspace my normal way, it will chamber Win Brass, Rem Brass and even some junk China stuff. It will not chamber a Lapua round. When I reamed it 0.004" deeper(which is 0.0005" from the no-go gauge) the lapua will chamber. If I try a fired Lapua case from my Steyr, you can not get it even close to closing the bolt.

Wayne

According to my chamber prints there is only .004" between the "GO" and the "NO-GO" in the .308 Winchester. If your reamer is 'tight necked' you certainly won't get a fired case from your Styer to chamber in the 'tight necked' one, the case neck diameter will be too big. Did you full length re-size the Lapua brass (bump the shell holder), check it for length, and try chambering the empty case?

Thanks J E. All I specd. out was I use Lapua Brass that I FL size every reload. When I setup the headspace my normal way, it will chamber Win Brass, Rem Brass and even some junk China stuff. It will not chamber a Lapua round. When I reamed it 0.004" deeper(which is 0.0005" from the no-go gauge) the lapua will chamber. If I try a fired Lapua case from my Steyr, you can not get it even close to closing the bolt.

Wayne

Sorry . I though you had a 308 AI (I must have had a brain Fart).

But the Winchester and other commercial brass I sized small to fit in any chamber (Small
base dies )

The lapua brass is sized closer to SAAME spec and will be tighter in a match chamber.

Any way , Glad you found your problem.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.