Reamer manufacturers

drbill

Ordered every caliber live pilot throaters, bushings and several reamers 4.5 months ago and have only received one throater and one set of bushings.

Who manufactures live pilot spiral throaters and bushings? and other gunsmithing tooling?

Clymer?
Manson?
JGS?
who else?

Thanks

You only need to know one. JGS. They are worth how ever much they cost or how long you need to wait to get them. Even though sometimes they are twice the price of the others. The price has nothing to do with what other people charge or trying to make an unfair profit. It's a direct reflection of what went into making them.

I try to use only JGS. Yes there is a huge difference in QC and how they work. Not just talking about sharp either. The way the reamer flutes are positioned around the cutter has a huge affect on how a reamer works. (chatter) I can hear our non JGS reamers clear across our 50' shop. On the good stuff every flute is a different distance apart. Experience counts in this game and shortcuts in quality to improve the bottom line have no place in my shop. Just for fun look at your new cutters with a 20-40 power microscope or a good camera with a high powered macro setting. These defects can show up in your work. I know we are not building diesel injectors here but it's nice to know I can.

So are you ordering all your reamers with no throat so you can cut each one to application? That leads me then to ask, are you buying all the throat angles for your throater sets? I hope you are a very young guy because I could easily picture going a whole lifetime and never using a bunch of these tools.

Most of what JGS sells is not in the catalog. Almost everything is custom one way or another. This is why their catalog and website is weak. It would be impossible to try to list everything they make. A lot of it is not even gun related. If you don't see what you want just call and ask.

I fought with PTG for too long before trying JGS and it'll make you feel dumber than a post that you tried so hard to get PTG stuff when a simple call to JGS not only will get you excellent communication but it will get you tooling that is to the spec on the sheet. In two years I literally only had two Kiff reamers ground to spec and those were SAMMI reamers that are ground on CNC, anything custom will be screwed up! Then when you send the incorrectly made tooling back they'll charge you a restocking fee then charge you again for the correctly made tool, it's insanity over at PTG, you'll get bent over if you try to cancel any order even though they usually can't find it :rolleyes:

first of all I've never had any issues second of all I don't appreciate being called dumb you *****. question was asked what other manufacturers make chamber reamers and I answered the question

The only reamers I've ever had problems with are PT&G, and I've been at this for 20+yrs. I might have to buy bolts and some bottom metal from PT&G, but I don't have to buy their reamers (and poor customer service).

The only reamers I've ever had problems with are PT&G, and I've been at this for 20+yrs. I might have to buy bolts and some bottom metal from PT&G, but I don't have to buy their reamers (and poor customer service).

+1
Sad but true

J E CUSTOM

This (PTG).
p7xr.jpg

Or this. (JGS) Which throat do you want in your new rifle?

gxh9.jpg

The real problems can't be stoned out and I'm not talking about customer service. Just for fun measure up your bushings sometime.

Ordered every caliber live pilot throaters, bushings and several reamers 4.5 months ago and have only received one throater and one set of bushings.

Who manufactures live pilot spiral throaters and bushings? and other gunsmithing tooling?

Clymer?
Manson?
JGS?
who else?

Thanks
Who did you order from, drbill?

Thanks for the replies. I was getting my order from PT & G. I have since cancelled the order and I have done something to prevent one of BnG's statements. I was not getting my reamers with no throat. I was getting one throater for each caliber with all the same angle suggested by a well know gunsmith. If you have suggestions per caliber etc I am all ears. Thanks again.

This (PTG).

Or this. (JGS) Which throat do you want in your new rifle?

The real problems can't be stoned out and I'm not talking about customer service. Just for fun measure up your bushings sometime.

Were those photos of the cutting edges of the two different chamber reamers? The one looks like a hack saw blade.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.