Reamer and Barrel flush system

BRIT

Gents
When using a Lathe fitted with the system that pumps cutting oil down the Barrel and over the Reamer, do you have to order a special Reamer and\or Pilots to allow the oil to pass over it?
Thank you.

Brit.

I'm not a gunsmith but it seems the rifling would allow fluid to flow around the pilot.

Gents
When using a Lathe fitted with the system that pumps cutting oil down the Barrel and over the Reamer, do you have to order a special Reamer and\or Pilots to allow the oil to pass over it?
Thank you.

Brit.

It works best if you have a piloted reamer with oil groves cut on the stem that the bushing fits on.

If your reamers are without this feature most reamer makers will re grind your reamer with
this feature for very little. ($7.00 for solid pilot reamers and $10.00 for removable pilot reamers.

They allow more flow and more pressure to flush the shavings away.

J E CUSTOM

I'm not a gunsmith but it seems the rifling would allow fluid to flow around the pilot.
The 'rifling' isn't enough. It raises pressure without allowing volume. Ya' need the 'oil grooves', like J E said. I manage to get about 35psi goin' before I have leaks at the muzzle. (I have 'oil grooves') I've got $160 in my 5 gal. coolant tank, SO NO LEAKS! The smaller the caliber the quicker the pressure climbs. (I've got alot more pump than what I need!)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts