Really!

For years the anti-gun crowd has tried to find ways to make gun ownership too expensive for people to own/use guns. They try to do this thru taxes and fees. It has never really worked. Now we are doing it to ourselves along with the industry doing it to us also. I firmly believe that at this point a lot of the price increases are being done by retailers. I own my own business and understand material cost increases. What we are seeing now is far more than material cost increases! The manufacturers are not doing this to us, the retailers are. Pay attention now and when this eventually settles down, be very selective about who you support/do business with in the future.

I firmly believe that at this point a lot of the price increases are being done by retailers. I own my own business and understand material cost increases. What we are seeing now is far more than material cost increases! The manufacturers are not doing this to us, the retailers are.
Can you provide proof of this?

Supply and demand is a constant factor in the sales work and in the world of economics - and it is economics that drive markets. Anytime artifical outside influence markets, it shifts, but will always return to an equilibrium - prices return to either their former levels, or at a new "normal level, or might in fact even drop. An example - watch what happens if a $15 minimum wage is implemented. There will be cutback on workers, and lower skilled workers and first-time workers (students) entering the work force will be S.O. L. Ti happened in Seattle. Another example - those attempting entry to the US at the Southern border will not have the skills to compete at a baseline starting at $15 per hour.

I might be wrong but i believe the purpose of website retailers having that gotcha (I'm not a robot) thing is meant to stop bots. So if true that seems a simple way to stop the use of bots buying everything up

MisterC01 writes: "Another example - those attempting entry to the US at the Southern border will not have the skills to compete at a baseline starting at $15 per hour."

This might be true if people coming into the USA were able to prove that they are here legally. If they are not, they will also work without a SS # and will work for people who will pay cash. No minimum wage there -- just what the competition establishes. So they will not be competing with people who can start at $15 an hour. They will be competing with others who don't have papers, and working for people who don't use e-verify. There is no minimum in that situation -- only what a willing buyer and willing seller are able to negotiate.

I might be wrong but i believe the purpose of website retailers having that gotcha (I'm not a robot) thing is meant to stop bots. So if true that seems a simple way to stop the use of bots buying everything up
A classic example of lack of experience leading to a misunderstanding of the situation. I have built many websites in my career, and I can tell you it is not nearly as simple as you are attempting to make it.

Creating a captcha or bot check that is even 96% effective against bots, which doesn't drastically damage the end user experience, is a very difficult thing. So difficult in fact, that some of the largest corporations on the planet struggle to do it. It is not reasonable to expect even large firearms-related retailers to devote that kind of money, when even the largest companies in the world can not effectively do it. For instance, if Amazon can not combat bots effectively... what chance do you expect midway, grafs, or smaller outfits to have?

They develop better anti-bot mechanisms... and then the bot coders simply design better bots. It's the same old radar and radar detector story.

Gentlemen, this is not a firearms industry problem. This is affecting our entire civilization. Go try to buy a high end graphics card for a computer right now. See how far you get. Try to buy a new game console. Try to buy a new boat. This supply and demand issue is touching literally every aspect of our lives. Please try to keep perspective.

Things to consider:
Background checks done on gun purchases last year substantiate industry estimates of over 40 million guns sold. That can easily translate into 5 billion rounds of ammo with those gun purchases.

Coved regulations have severely impacted manufacturing capabilities along with where housing, distribution, and receiving. Some major companies are/were at 25-30% capacity due to this. California regulations have almost killed off RCBS.

Hazmat regulations are a huge impact on distribution of powder and primers. Manufacturers make their greatest profit using these items in their manufactured ammo.

Side note-Berreta rep told us they don't have a Tikka warehoused anywhere in the US. Everyone they can make over the next year has already been sold.

The scarcity of items allows entities to use bots, which buy it before you see it, and that gives them the power to control the market by ensuring scarcity. People are making millions of dollars on ammo, components, game consoles, and computer parts via this mechanism right now. Manufacturers are pricing to hedge against inflation, and that's about it. They are not responsible for monstrous price increases. Some dealers are doing it. The same ones that can always be seen doing it. They are happy to take advantage of the situation, but it isn't really their creation. This is individuals. Tech savvy folks that see an opportunity for a quick buck. The people deploying bots, aren't shooters any more than they are console gamers. They are capitalists, however.

There's no conspiracy. This is just raw capitalism when unchained greed has no negative repercussion. So long as people keep buying at absurd prices, the absurd prices will persist. The individual, and their individual choices, is what allows this situation to exist. Without peoples fear of missing out, the bots and their owners, would be completely powerless. When you have someone willing to pay you $1000 for a 1k primers... and you bought them for $55, you'd have to be nearly out of your mind to turn it down. The buyers control this situation... not the sellers.

So what bot program allows someone to do this?

I have bjought 4,000 primers from the local farm and barn. Limit of 1,000 of each type. Large pistol, $39.99, small pistol was $47.90, small rifle CCI BR-2 were $67.90 these all were CCI. I bought 1,000 Winchester small pistol for $47.90. They were selling all these at individual prices for 100, the same. ie, $4.79/100. This I believe will be close to the norm for later this year. It's higher for sure, but not crazy. Last month at a local gun show they were asking $200-250 for small pistol, and nobody bought any. Guys it's primers are starting to show up! Have patience and don't pay that crazy, crazy price just because you can afford it. My local gun shop just got 40,000 rounds of Norma 22lr auto ammo. I don't know anything about Norma 22 auto, but I thought $10.00/box for 50 was to high. I didn't buy any.

Saw on a couple of different sites the other day 525 22lr for $110.00. $0.21 a round. Since you can't reload for them I will quit shooting my 22lr's. I'll have to limit how much my grandsons get to shoot and you know kids or mine anyway love to shoot.

As others have pointed out its not just reloading supplies, not that it makes the situation any less frustrating. Lumber is up 50% or more, appliances and furniture can have long lead times, and try to buy a new boat under 25ft. My mom's fridge went out this weekend its 6 weeks projected to get a new one. My in-laws moved to NC in November and bought a new couch in December, that couch is expected to arrive at the end of April or early May. I live near the Pamlico River in eastern NC where fishing and boating are hugely popular and there hasn't been a new boat under 25ft on a dealer lot available for sale since early last summer. I have a 21ft bay boat that's 13years old I bought three years ago and was recently offered 5k more than I paid for it, the only reason I haven't sold it is that replacing it impossible at the moment. If there's one thing this man can't do without its his boat and going fishing.

Things to consider:
Background checks done on gun purchases last year substantiate industry estimates of over 40 million guns sold. That can easily translate into 5 billion rounds of ammo with those gun purchases.

Coved regulations have severely impacted manufacturing capabilities along with where housing, distribution, and receiving. Some major companies are/were at 25-30% capacity due to this. California regulations have almost killed off RCBS.

Hazmat regulations are a huge impact on distribution of powder and primers. Manufacturers make their greatest profit using these items in their manufactured ammo.

Side note-Berreta rep told us they don't have a Tikka warehoused anywhere in the US. Everyone they can make over the next year has already been sold.
Maybe RCBS should move operations to Wyoming...?

Preach @orkan

I think I saw you in a commercial a while ago...
that's not how this works.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.