Really good match bullets

goodgrouper

Well, they're really not long range bullets but I measured a few bearing surfaces and weighed a few of Ronnie Cheek's 66 grain, flat base 6mm bullets and was amazed. Out of 50, there was absolutely no variation in bearing surface, and two bullets came out 65.9 grains, the rest were spot on 66 grains!!

Boy, if we could get some vld's that were this good, we would be set. Lapua Scenars are up there, but not quite that good.

Now if only the prairie dogs would appreciate how good these bullets are before they get turned into red mist, they might be even deader (is that a word?)!

They vary by caliber but really aren't much more than any other match bullet.

Their uniformity and weight tolerances are astounding. They are so good, that I (mr. super anal perfectionist reloader) could load them without doing anything to them and fire for group at 1k.

They have yet to win me over for terminal ballistics, but very good for paper punchin'.

Yes, they are the hollow point, boat tail design.

The Cheeks are so good, I don't think I'll mess with them either. Just load and shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

so basically i should just order a bunch of lapua brass and those bullets? becasue they are great for paper punchin?? beacuse that and gongs is prolly all im going to shoot for a year

I don't know about bearing surface but I weigh a couple bullet in my inventories to see how consistent they are and heres what I found out. Did this after getting Len's Lyman DPS

After assembling the machine, I decided to weigh a couple of bullet to check for consistency and also to check the accuracy of the DPS1200. Lyman claimed of + or - 1/10th of a grain accuracy is right on the money. I weigh a total of 10 bullet for each caliber to get a fair representation. I also included several match bullet to see how consistent they are when compared to regular hunting bullet. The result astonished me. None of the bullets I weigh exceeds 1 grain. If your loads won't shoot a hoots, look somewhere else to blame, bullet weight ain't it. Here's the result...

Hunting Bullet:

Overall winner: Hornady 308 SST 180 grain BT. Weight varies by 2/10th of a grain. Six out of ten bullet have the same weight. (180.2 - 180.4). 60% Consistency. Better than some match bullet.

No.2: Sierra 338 - 250 grain BTSP. Weight varies 3/10th of a grain. Five out of ten bullet have the same weight. (250.2 - 250.5)

No.3: Speer 243 Grand Slam 100 grain FB. Weight varies 4/10th of a grain. (100.5 - 100.9)

No.4: Hornady 308 Interlock 180 grain BTSP. Weight varies 5/10th of a grain. (179.8 - 180.3)

No.5: Nosler 338 CT 200 grain BTSP. Weight varies 6/10th of a grain. (199.8 - 200.4)

N0.6: Barnes 308 TSX 180 grain BT. Weight varies 7/10th of a grain. (180.4 - 181.1)

Match Bullet:

Overall winner: Nosler 308 J4 Competition 168 grain BT. Weight varies 1/10th of a grain. (168.2 - 168.3) Eight out of ten bullet have the same weight. 80% consistency.

No.2: Sierra 308 MK - 200 grain HPBT. Weight varies 2/10th of a grain. (200.4 - 200.6) Six out ten bullet have the same weight. 60% consistency.

No.3: Lapua Scenar 308 - 155 grain HPBT. Weight varies 2/10th of a grain. ( 154.6 - 154.8) Five bullet out of ten have the same weight. 50% consistency.

No.4: Hornady 224 Match - 53 grain HP. Weight varies 4/10th of a grain. (53.1 - 53.5). Four out of ten bullet have the same weight. 40% consistency.

No.5: Speer 7MM match - 145 grain HP. Weight varies 9/10th of a grain. (144.7 - 145.6) worst even when compared to hunting bullet.

There you have it gentlemen....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.