really dumb question im sure... but.... 300 h and h to 338 winmag

the gun is PERFECTLY USABLE in its current condition ,matter of fact it went hunting this year and bagged an elk, got a custom built rail and a new vortex optic utilizing the side mount drilled and tapped holes from the factory lyman tappings no drilled rear reciever top so its not NEEDING a change but... that 3.6" mag well is BEGGING to be a more usable caliber BUT its got a 4 didget serial number completely unadulterated and fully functional... so im actually with SDPLINKER BUT then again..... it WILL NEVER be sold BUT....... then again...... its BEGGING to be a 33+ caliber

for the record..... i will NEVER modify the TOP OF THE RECIEVER..... ill weld all sorts of aluminum rails to NEVER modify a prewar undrilled reciever using a Post war EGW aluminum pictini rail and a tig welded side mount modification on the rail in 0 moa Left/ right took 0 adjust from center and exactly 20 MOA from as low as the scope would zero to set zero if i ever build another rail it will start with the 20 MOA rail

Last edited:
Oil it up and put it away until you need it. Start your build on your new dream gun, and then the next, and the next, and on and on. You cannot have too many until you run out of room!😁
RIGHT......... kinda like the model 14 in 30 rem im redoing for my niece that has a hatchet mark from great grandpa dropping an axe on it... or the 4 successive SN 1952 06s the octagon barrel 25/20 single shot ..... or..... yep i got a bunch of oldies.... and all i got just got oiled again tonight..... i love me my old wood guns

That would be awesome! She should love it!
I just got my great niece shooting about a year ago, she just turned 18, it took many years before she decided to do it. I got her a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor, Weatherby 12 ga. and a CVA Blackpowder rifle. We need to introduce the kids to our enjoyment to keep it.

i just bought a 2x8 rough cut board of purple heart that will be a new stock for the gun im giving to my niece.... in 12 years..... when she turns 12...

I love the idea, but at 52.5% heavier than walnut, that's going to me a very heavy stock for a 12 year old. Have you considered a dyed laminate stock instead?

A newer action would be more accurate, but this talk about looking past the old war horse is a bit disrespectful. I would probably put a chromo Shilen barrel on it, NECG sights, true the action, dial in a nice 3lb trigger, refinish the stock and drill/tap/true the receiver one time for some classic scope bases.

I agree with mustang72. I view guns as a tool. Of course want them to be sharp, but it is after all a tool... If you want something to collect dust, buy gold bars...Build it how you want it.

Or sell it to another "collector" and build what you want.
I have always been able to keep every gun I ever bought....and a few of do have dust on the them! But I sure as hell have never been able to keep gold that long! Guess that's cause it keeps buying Guns!

cant pass a deal up when i see it.... working a deal on a 338 28" blank barrel how much blaphmemy would it be if that barrel was spun inplace of an original pre war model 70 300 h and h... or do the barrel to fit something less unadulterated? ( keeping original barrel so it could be replaced ) or would value be effected either way if it was touched
Clacka6MM, I am a Winchester collector. a pre-war M-70 in 300 H&H is some prize. if you must; sell it and buy a 338 Win mag and put the good barrel on that. I would hate to see one of the big 5 guns wrecked.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.