Real World Difference Between a $500 and a $1000 Scope?

dont you have legal shooting hours in your state? Sure over the years ive had to pass on a few deer because there wasnt enough light but to be honest it was past legal shooting hours anyway. Bottom line is if i cant see a 150lb deer well enough to shoot with a leupold its surely not legal to shoot anyway and even if it is id have to question how ethical taking a real long shot in those light conditions on a living creature is anyway. I also cant justify spending 4 times more for a scope for the 1 in a 100 chance a deer might come in and i might have to pass. Ive killed enough deer in my life that it dosent bother me to walk away from an iffy shot. To me its kind of like the guys who go out and buy 2000 dollar ar15s thinking the zombies are comming. tell me what they do that my 1k stag, bushmaster ect dont do. Or the guy who lives in a city and buys himself a 3/4 ton diesel pickup because MAYBE he will have to pull a trailer once or twice in the lifetime of that truck. Like i said im not arguing that a 500 dollar scope is as good as 2k scope but personaly im retired and have to justify more my purchases. 500 dollar scopes are as good as alot of the 2k scopes were 15 years ago and i sure dont feel that ive handicapped myself with one on my deer rifle or my varmit rigs. So yes you can preach that they might be better in a once in a lifetime situation but ive shot hundreds of deer with scopes like even vx2 leupolds and dont remember ever saying to myself afterward that i sure could have used a better scope.

We don't have set hours. We have set time-frames..."First safe light", and "last safe light" for evenings.

Also, this was years ago, and I was hunting on my friend's grandparents peanut farm, and they have special licenses to hunt anytime of the day because the deer eat their crops. It didn't matter when I shot, as long as I KNEW what I was shooting at, and it was a good humane kill. Which is was.

And as far as coyote hunting goes, they aren't considered a "game animal" so they can be hunted at night.

The shots I make are NEVER "iffy"....The are always accurate kill-shots. I also have very good vision in the dark.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.