Real World BC berger .25?

It is very difficult to come up with an accurate BC using the drop method at any range let alone just 200 - 600 yds. I show a drop difference of 1" from 200 to 600 using your numbers. That isn't much. How accurate are your click values? There are any number of errors we can throw in the pot doing our testing. What size groups did you shoot @ 200 and 600 and how accurately were they interpreted? Any up or down drafts? Parallax? Bryan uses much better equipment and methods and is a lot more experienced than any of us.

Last edited:
Updrafts can make everything, even velocity, go haywire. When i had the issue with the 130 VLDs this was my problem. I was holding crazy velocities at 200 yards and actually was having a rise of 1 inch over my 100 yard zero. I figured out it was due to a swirling updraft(don't know the technical term/ Wind was straight out of the west, I was shooting along the east side of a north south tree line, two willow trees and a barn on the east side of the path, causing the wind to swirl down and back up. I can duplicate the same conditions any time I have a brisk wind from the straight west now and know exactly what will happen. no wind, it does just what Bryan says it will. I know that it should not effect velocity, but I have shot across my chrony from 200 yards about a dozen times now and it just does. without the wind it will be exactly what the calculator says it should be at any given range.

I just looked at my ituch to see what I settled on.

Program-bullet flit

MV-3306

Zero-22Oyards

G7 BC-.326 first BC
G7 BC-.240 2800fps second BC

I have shot from 200yards to 1100yards using those numbers. If you haven't shot these bullets around 3300fps and past 600yards than I dont know what to say.

This is real world from my gun.

I understand that my first BC is hard to beleve.

I use a G1 BC of .630 for the 115 VLD in my 25-06 AI shooting them @ 3300-3450. I've tried every which BC and this works best for me. I've done a box test with my scope and verified it's accuracy of clicks (1/8th clicks 4-16 elite 4200). I use a 200 yard 0 and I've shot every range from 100-1000 yards. It seems way off but I've verified my velocity through 2 chronographs. I've even zero'd my gun at 200 and shot a group at 500 yards without adjusting the scope, you guys don't even want to know the real drop I measured.

Berger's listed BC's may work for you guys shooting 2800-3000 fps, but how many of you have pushed this past 3400 and actually shot to 1000 yards? I have and I know what works for me. I've been shooting this bullets for several years so it's not like I went out once and these are the numbers I've come up with. .630 G1 BC works all the time, everytime for me.

Thats really interesting Nitroused383 on the velocity your getting. I use the same exact bullet and cartridge but as yet have not been able to get that kind of velocity. Lately I have been using Retumbo but have been a bit nervous about pushing it that hard. Can you give a bit of a description on rifle, barrel length, case used, primer, powder etc. Last time I checked I think I was up around 3250 was all and its a very light load or seems to be but also very very accurate in my .25-06AI. On antelope 550 was a chip shot and 700 was doable but the bullet didn't open up well at that range and took a long time to catch up with the antelope as it was hit a bit back around the last rib and just seemed to nose in and out without much damage. Haven't shot to 1000 yet and had been thinking of rechambering to .257 Wby to get the extra boost but if there is a way to get the velocity up a bit. I might just stay with what I am using. That bullet just plain shoots.

I use a G1 BC of .630 for the 115 VLD in my 25-06 AI shooting them @ 3300-3450. I've tried every which BC and this works best for me. I've done a box test with my scope and verified it's accuracy of clicks (1/8th clicks 4-16 elite 4200). I use a 200 yard 0 and I've shot every range from 100-1000 yards. It seems way off but I've verified my velocity through 2 chronographs. I've even zero'd my gun at 200 and shot a group at 500 yards without adjusting the scope, you guys don't even want to know the real drop I measured.

Berger's listed BC's may work for you guys shooting 2800-3000 fps, but how many of you have pushed this past 3400 and actually shot to 1000 yards? I have and I know what works for me. I've been shooting this bullets for several years so it's not like I went out once and these are the numbers I've come up with. .630 G1 BC works all the time, everytime for me.

Bryan Litz' G1 BC's (Bergers) Are usually the G1 average between 3000-1500. Pushing them at those higher velocoites will probably boost their G1 a little but .630 still seems high. It's best to use the G7 BC as they are good for all velocities.

I would be very surprised if the Bushnell 4200 had a true MOA turret. Most of the mainline manufacturers use a 1" MOA and even then, they are not precise. A good way to check is set up a long board marked out in inches @ 100 yda and check the verticle travel up and down as far as you can go. 10 MOA = 10.47" 20 MOA = 20.94", etc.

Thats really interesting Nitroused383 on the velocity your getting. I use the same exact bullet and cartridge but as yet have not been able to get that kind of velocity. Lately I have been using Retumbo but have been a bit nervous about pushing it that hard. Can you give a bit of a description on rifle, barrel length, case used, primer, powder etc. Last time I checked I think I was up around 3250 was all and its a very light load or seems to be but also very very accurate in my .25-06AI. On antelope 550 was a chip shot and 700 was doable but the bullet didn't open up well at that range and took a long time to catch up with the antelope as it was hit a bit back around the last rib and just seemed to nose in and out without much damage. Haven't shot to 1000 yet and had been thinking of rechambering to .257 Wby to get the extra boost but if there is a way to get the velocity up a bit. I might just stay with what I am using. That bullet just plain shoots.

In my Sendero 26" barrel 25-06, I get 3200 fps with 115 BST's with Retumbo and 3400 fps with RL17.

I've been shooting this bullets for several years so it's not like I went out once and these are the numbers I've come up with. .630 G1 BC works all the time, everytime for me.
Nitroused383,

If that works for you every time and you're happy with it, then you should carry on. But, it does't mean that .630 is the correct BC. (and, I don't think you made such claim)

It's almost certain that something is amiss in your software or inputs.

The important thing is that you're happy and successful within your own shooting discipline.

Meanwhile, I'll keep dreaming of a .630 BC bullet that will shoot well in my 25-06.

With a slow twist, mine really favors 75-90 grainers. But, it gets they job done.

-- richard

I just looked at my ituch to see what I settled on.

Program-bullet flit

MV-3306

Zero-22Oyards

G7 BC-.326 first BC
G7 BC-.240 2800fps second BC

I have shot from 200yards to 1100yards using those numbers. If you haven't shot these bullets around 3300fps and past 600yards than I dont know what to say.

This is real world from my gun.

I understand that my first BC is hard to beleve.

Why would you use 2 different BC's for the G-7 drag?

I have 26" 1-10 twist Shilen Select match barrel. I use Lapua 30-06 brass. The elite 4200 has very accurate clicks, ask Jerry Tao, he shoots out to 2 miles. BillR what is your email address I can email you all my load info as I keep very good notes, Retumbo didn't work that great for me. How many of you guys have actually shot these bullets long range at high velocity (3300+) ? I've used both a G7 and G1 bc and really the G1 works better for me.

I dial up 14 MOA with a 200 yard 0 for 900 yards. 500 yards I dial up about 4.8-5 MOA. Like I've said earlier I have zero'd my gun at 200 yards, made no scope adjustments, shot a tall piece of card board at 500 yards. I measured the actual bullet drop and well I'm not even going to say what it actually dropped because no computer calculation or book can make sense of it. Oh and a 25-06 shooting a 115gr bullet @ 3400 fps with RL-17 isn't a good idea. I do agree something must be off in my calculations but I have checked JBM so many different times and come up with the same thing. Hopefully when the weather is nicer my buddy will let me shoot through his chronograph @ 500 or 600 yards and I will set mine @ the muzzle to calculate bc based off of velocity loss.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.