Real Hunters?

How many of us are really hunters?
With that statement I like to define a true hunter but also no disrespect to the one's that fall out of this category.
A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted.
Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry.
Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels.
The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt.

So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc.
These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters.

People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify.
And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol

So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?
Just wondering.
Martin
Martin: I share your feelings, which is why I have never hunted Africa. I prefer to stay in the USA, where I can know the game, its life cycle, and seasonal changes in its behavior, in order to harvest it. AND, hunting lets me be one with the natural world, where I most enjoy spending my time. I have always said that I would prefer to have lived in the days that the West was being discovered, before it was spoiled by "civilization."

Africa you hunt with a guide all the time. They rate there animals by Bronze, Silver, and Gold for horns size. Generally from one to three people in a hunting party. I would spec Gold only. Distance can closet to long range. Mostly over water holes from a blind. Been there twice and maybe if I am lucky I will get a third trip. If I was going again I think I would go to South Africa. I feel there a larger amount of different game there or what I would be after the next time. Some country are more limited in types of game available. Check the country for types of shot are need to stay health. The game there is far better than we eat here in wild game. You are going to looking $12,000 to $20,000.00 for costs including having your animals mounted. The Big 5 it's a lot more, and out of my range. Everybody has there hand out. It will be a year before you get your animal home. The mounting fees are hell of a lot cheaper there than here.
If you wound and animal and loose it, you pay, So don't miss. Where I hunt there was a charge for each animal you shot.
The one thing is I wouldn't go through New York again ever. Can't go through England either with a firearm. Germany is one way to go, or maybe flying from the southern state to Africa direct. Allow time to get there and return. Better to pay for an extra night coming and going than to miss or being late. Sometime flight get screwed up. So allow extra time to go to and from. Be sure you have the paper work to transport the firearm from here to there. Both time coming back my flight were screwed up. REMEMBER YOU CAN'T GO THROUGH ENGLAND WITH A FIREARM.

Martin: I share your feelings, which is why I have never hunted Africa. I prefer to stay in the USA, where I can know the game, its life cycle, and seasonal changes in its behavior, in order to harvest it. AND, hunting lets me be one with the natural world, where I most enjoy spending my time. I have always said that I would prefer to have lived in the days that the West was being discovered, before it was spoiled by "civilization."
Thank you

Recent Posts