Real Hunters?

Martin, it was all in the wording. If you question anyone's lifestyle, hobby or pastime (whatever you want to call it) it will ruffle feathers. I can see you were not meaning to offend, but that's how I first read it.
Well Sir guess you are right aldo I pointed out that there was no judgement.
O well c'est la vie
Have a great day

Real hunters? Dangerous question on a board like this, as it will have as many definitions as there are members.

Personally, having grown up on a poor, small farm/ranch in the very rural South, I learned at a very young age the usefulness of hunting, fishing, trapping, living in and observing the wilds, etc, etc. Then, I took it to the next level by learning much about Native American and primitive American settler survival and living with and in nature.

I guess at one time or another, I have hunted and killed game with rifles, shotguns, pistols, airguns, bows, spears, slings and slingshots, snares, traps of many types, pits, rocks, sticks, etc, etc. Early in life, most of this game was for feeding self and family with furbearers for income and occasional tanned hides/furs for usage, and to day, while I do not have much of a "need" to actually feed the family with wild game and fish, most of the game killed is consumed in some fashion.

Am I a hunter? Maybe.

Real hunters? Dangerous question on a board like this, as it will have as many definitions as there are members.

Personally, having grown up on a poor, small farm/ranch in the very rural South, I learned at a very young age the usefulness of hunting, fishing, trapping, living in and observing the wilds, etc, etc. Then, I took it to the next level by learning much about Native American and primitive American settler survival and living with and in nature.

I guess at one time or another, I have hunted and killed game with rifles, shotguns, pistols, airguns, bows, spears, slings and slingshots, snares, traps of many types, pits, rocks, sticks, etc, etc. Early in life, most of this game was for feeding self and family with furbearers for income and occasional tanned hides/furs for usage, and to day, while I do not have much of a "need" to actually feed the family with wild game and fish, most of the game killed is consumed in some fashion.

Am I a hunter? Maybe.
Sure sounds like it

How many of us are really hunters?
With that statement I like to define a true hunter but also no disrespect to the one's that fall out of this category.
A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted.
Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry.
Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels.
The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt.

So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc.
These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters.

People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify.
And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol

So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?
Just wondering.
Martin
I've been hunting since I was 8yrs old. I just turned 59. I was just asked by a friend of my folks if I was ready for hunting season & if I used a feeder or bait piles or trail cams, drone etc
. I replied " Im an old school competent meat HUNTER. I've never used any of that stuff. I get my butt out in the woods, swamps, fields & I read the animal signs & locate food & water close by, bedding areas, rubs, scrapes etc & I set my hunting spot up accordingly. I've never ever not filled my meat freezer full of wild game of all sorts & made sure my close friends had some too. Its just me, my gun, my Summit Viper self climber, & a GPS with food & drink for dark to dark hunting when I enter the woods.

I've been hunting since I was 8yrs old. I just turned 59. I was just asked by a friend of my folks if I was ready for hunting season & if I used a feeder or bait piles or trail cams, drone etc
. I replied " Im an old school competent meat HUNTER. I've never used any of that stuff. I get my butt out in the woods, swamps, fields & I read the animal signs & locate food & water close by, bedding areas, rubs, scrapes etc & I set my hunting spot up accordingly. I've never ever not filled my meat freezer full of wild game of all sorts & made sure my close friends had some too. Its just me, my gun, my Summit Viper self climber, & a GPS with food & drink for dark to dark hunting when I enter the woods.
Wow, I'm so impressed???
I do it much different but never look down my nose at others who choose their own style.

I am wind, rain, mist, and shadow. I move with the grace of a butterflies wings gently lapping at the air. I blend into my environment, I am invisible. I am a myth, the slayer of generations, nameless and terrifying.

I hunt flies with a Bug-a-Salt while wearing Crocs.