Real Hunters?

OKAY, I'll play..
Yes, I have lived the lifestyle you state. for more than a few years it was the only way I could put meat on the table and the modest gardens I grew some of my staple veggies. No, I was not off grid, I just had too many problems with store bought veggies and meat. BTW I also fished the local streams for trout, lakes for crappie, blue gill sunfish, large mouth bass, and northern pike. Looking back, I am convinced that those days I was the healthiest I ever was. BTW I refuse to shoot goats.. icky animals and they can not be good to eat. if they taste even remotely like the smell.. no thank you!
Speed goats (antelope) best meat in North America!

Just like I stated this is not a judgemental post and certainly not meaning to insult or disrespect anyone this one can see if one reads the post carefully before geting you dander up.
There are different ways to enjoy and fill your freezer and all the power to you.
I was just curious how many people still use the old-fashioned way of hunting.

Martin
Tim Wells is one of the few hunters that uses the old fashioned way. He throws a spear! Bear, deer, Cape buffalo, alligator, he throws a spear.

I qualify as a "hunter" but I think your being a bit of dick about it. First, why even bring it up? Secondly, everyone is on his or her own journey of hunting. That journey has guardrails that involve budget, time, availability and game species they desire.
All those criteria change as one goes on the journey. Be proud of what you accomplished and skills you have. Others may surpass you and others still may never reach your qualifications. Doesn't make them a non hunter - it is their journey not yours.
You could do good by not condemning others activities but simply promoting your methods and knowledge through pod costs or YouTube and provide education or criticisms.
Just my 2cents
Please re or read my question

How many of us are really hunters?
With that statement I like to define a true hunter but also no disrespect to the one's that fall out of this category.
A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted.
Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry.
Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels.
The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt.

So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc.
These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters.

People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify.
And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol

So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?
Just wondering.
Martin
What a silly post! I guess you just entertain yourself by being judgmental of others, you say no offense but that is exactly what you are trying to do.

Just like I stated this is not a judgemental post and certainly not meaning to insult or disrespect anyone this one can see if one reads the post carefully before geting you dander up.
There are different ways to enjoy and fill your freezer and all the power to you.
I was just curious how many people still use the old-fashioned way of hunting.

Martin
Other than your preference, what's so special about the "old fashioned way"

I am a mediocre hunter at best, I live in the SE where we typically hunt whitetail except the annual trips where I hunt out west for elk or mulies. I sure wish I knew more than I do about truly patterning and hunting deer but unfortunately I am still learning every year. I primarily bow hunt and strive to pattern mature
deer. I do have quite a bit of food plots, protein/corn feeders and provide salt/mineral sites. I do not hunt on or near the supplemental feed sites (only food plots) unless I am trying to kill a cull deer because I want him dead and not really worried about the trophy of the hunt. That said I do not kill many deer because I will only kill mature bucks and I use a bow with a 50yd range. I still don't think I am a good hunter but I feel better about my accomplishments than my friends that kill monsters on the MS delta setting over bait sites of corn and sweet taters with rifles. I also turkey hunt like my life depends on it which is a sure enough challenge.
You obvious read my post.
Thank you.

Exactly, The most memorable guided hunts I have been on were more like having a hunting partner than someone telling me what to do. It can actually be much more fun than hunting alone if the personalities mesh.
Yes thats what I mean, if I climb on a plane to the Himalayas to hunt ten thousand feet elevation sheep I may have read all there is to know about these sheep but I Will NEED THE HELP OF A LOCAL HUNTER that did the foot work for me.

No disrespect intended the op…but this should be titled "who here is a "real hunter" according to me?"

I shot a deer and even ate the thing last November (well the eating part took longer than just November but…). I'm a real hunter.

some take issue with trophy hunters and say it's not hunting
Some take issue with those who use bait
Some take issue with those who use trail cams
Some take issue with those who shoot beyond 100 yards
Some take issue with those who aren't at least 8 miles away from any road when hunting
Some take issue with those who use anything bigger than a .30-06
Some take issue with those who use semi autos of any kind

all I take issue with is inconsiderate hunting (inhumane killing, not making every effort to retrieve a wounded animal, unsafe practices like idiots shooting into the bush because they thought they might have saw something, trespassing and littering and crap like that) There's enough non hunters taking issue with hunting and gun ownership in general….let's not be needlessly dividing ourselves into real hunters vs whatever you image others who aren't as hardcore as you but still kill and eat to be. Gotta stick together.

On a final note, none of us using such modern luxuries as firearms and vehicles are that hardcore, not "real hunters"…we know we'll eat today whether we kill or not, and we use modern tech to make it easy. There are still hunter/gatherer tribal people who kill or starve, and use bows, spears, sticks, stones, traps, nets, etc…. If one of these types said I wasn't a real hunter I would absolutely respect the verdict. No one on here is one of these…

So the guy stops and strikes up a conversation with me. Come to find out, this guy was 85 years old. His wife had passed, and his kids had moved away, and weren't hunters anyway, and he's out trying to get a deer. After a while, he said he was headed back home, and so after he left, I thought, I want to be just like him when I grow up." To be 85, and still have the desire and ability to go out and deer hunt? Wow! My only regret was not asking him to jump in my truck, and I would take him to one of my stands, and I'd drive a deer to him. To me, that guy was a real hunter. I'll never forget the chance encounter I had with him.
One Thanksgiving day, I'm in the coastal range above Reedsport, OR, 2nd Elk Season. Kids were at the ex's, wife didn't want to prepare a feast - couldn't think of a better way to spend Thanksgiving.
Five miles to the South, across the Umpqua river, there's ~300 head of elk on the elk preserve there, including a bull that looks like it will easily make Boone and Crockett. No general season hunting allowed there.
I'm skunked, but don't care -- I've spent a day in God's country, listening to grouse drumming, watching quail pop up and rush off, even spooked five black tail. I hike to the top of the ridge where the logging road is, and up the hill comes an ancient F100. Guy stops, looks to be 70+, has a SxS with him. He's been grouse hunting all day, but hadn't had any luck. Offers me a ride. I'm an easy two miles from where I parked, so gladly accept. Spent the next fifteen minutes chatting.
After he dropped me off, I realized, that's what I want to be like at his age.

Last edited: