Real Hunters?

How many of us are really hunters?
With that statement I like to define a true hunter but also no disrespect to the one's that fall out of this category.
A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted.
Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry.
Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels.
The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt.

So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc.
These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters.

People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify.
And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol

So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?
Just wondering.
Martin
I qualify as a "hunter" but I think your being a bit of dick about it. First, why even bring it up? Secondly, everyone is on his or her own journey of hunting. That journey has guardrails that involve budget, time, availability and game species they desire.
All those criteria change as one goes on the journey. Be proud of what you accomplished and skills you have. Others may surpass you and others still may never reach your qualifications. Doesn't make them a non hunter - it is their journey not yours.
You could do good by not condemning others activities but simply promoting your methods and knowledge through pod costs or YouTube and provide education or criticisms.
Just my 2cents

I'd like to point out the many fallacies presented in this post.

"A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted." So anybody who doesn't tag-out is not a hunter. If you don't kill, you cannot be a hunter, per OP. Seems like being a real hunter is seasonal then. Could even change within the season, or within the same hunting trip.

"Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry. Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels." If you are a child/new hunting-participant (can't call them a hunter, now can I?) tagging along with a parent/mentor, you can't be a hunter, as your threshold of knowledge regarding your quarry is far too low. Also, if you haven't tracked down a single specific animal and have spent considerable time recording its every movement, you cannot be a hunter. So all you that understand a species' general habits and go into an area without a plan to take a single, specific animal, you cannot be hunters.

"The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt." This statement is contradictory to point 1, for a hunter never hopes to finish a hunt. Only hunters finish hunts; everybody else is not a hunter.

"So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc." If you don't have time to track down a single animal, if you travel any amount of distance to your hunting spot, or if you have a disability, you cannot be a hunter. But don't feel disrespected. It's just the rule.

"These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters." This point assumes that people with limited time, disabilities, and or who travel for hunting cannot do any hunting work on their own and must be guided. If you can't hunt out of your backyard, sorry, you're not a hunter. Loose a leg in a war, born with Down syndrome? Sorry, automatically disqualified from being a hunter. Only have a weekend to hunt? Believe it or not, also not a hunter.

"People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify." If you "hunt" near an area which is easy to get to or otherwise off-limits to hunting, sorry, you aren't a hunter. Unless you're hunting antelope (I'm assuming he means pronghorn), then you get a pass and can hunt along roads. They're special.

"And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol" Drones, heat seekers, and fish finders cannot be hunters (grammar is important, people). Textbook speciesism right here.

"So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?" According to the rules set forth by OP, I would estimate that there are less than 1,000 people in the world who are "full fledged hunters". But don't worry, he's not disrespecting you. He's just saying that you don't actually hunt. Your thousands of hours of preparation, thousands of dollars, and all the thought you've given to your predator-based outdoor activity just don't qualify you as a true hunter. Thems the rules. Gotta follow the rules.

My Dad used to say "I see a lot of people fishing but very few fisherman". I suppose that could be true for hunters as well. I met a group of archers years ago shooting archery tournaments they were called the Montana Bowzmen. They shot traditional bows and wore furs and deer skins around the entire event. I spoke with them and some would spend the entire bow season in the Bob Marshall Wilderness hunting with Bows and Arrows they made and feed themselves with only what they could harvest with the stick and string. I will never forget meeting that group and the impressions they made on me, I believe they are real hunters, far more so than me. Very interesting post! Jason

??? I wonder 💭 Iffin I'm a True Hunter … Hiked miles for my Bison with Single Shot 45-70, Stood Still to get that Bull Elk w/Recurve @ 31 metres, Antelope Buck @ 750 yds. W/340 WBY., (favourite)….
I believe there is a wide Range of Hunting… that the Rapid Dispatch of the Critter (humanely) - Done Safely - is the Criteria - all the Rest R Details

Hunters are too few and far between to start culling out certain groups because they choose to hunt differently than we do. Long range? good by me. Crossbow? no problem. Bow? Yep. Blowgun? Fine. Deer stand watching a feeder? No problem. Bird hunter with 12 gauge? Sure, why not. Hell, I include trappers as part of the brotherhood. The antis are growing in number and proportion. Take a kid hunting and show him/her the wonder of God's creation. Pass along the passion, whatever that means to you. Welcome all into the community and do your best to pass it on. Just my .02. Now I'm going back to watch the gif of the girl eating popcorn...

How many of us are really hunters?
With that statement I like to define a true hunter but also no disrespect to the one's that fall out of this category.
A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted.
Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry.
Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels.
The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt.

So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc.
These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters.

People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify.
And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol

So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?
Just wondering.
Martin
You said "us," inferring we are in your categorical definition of hunter. Change it to how many of "you " are hunters and leave yourself out on your own! Now, back to the lass eating popcorn, well, eh, oh, hmmm!

Last edited: