Ready for WY Elk hunt?

It is legit but it is not for special draw, thats for a general elk tag draw (and deer as a combo if you want, seasons run concurrently). For the last three years we have had between 10-15k surplus licenses after the draw was over. Those then go on sale OTC first come first serve. They then sell-out.

If you put in for the draw, general tag, its 100%.

Montana manages about 80+% of its units for opportunity rather than quality. The rest is managed for quality and the draw for those hunts are tough like the rest of the West. Some take 25-30+ points like Bitterroot Muleys... Ill never get that tag before I die.

Its doable, if you do your research, to get your elk on a general tag. The memories are worth it regardless!

I hunt a high traffic general unit and had six bulls bugling around us on one day during archery season last year. All of them 5x5 or better, one big old 7x7 that ignored us. Higher traffic this last season than any other too... it was ridiculous, just have to get up earlier and out hike the others...
Thanks for the information! I will do my homework and see if it makes sense to take a run at it. Not sure if I missed the deadline already for this year (AZ deadline was 12 days ago), but I have a buddy who wants to try and hunt MT, so we'll have to do some research and make it happen. For that long of a drive we'll most likely do the combo tag for deer (Muley, Whitetail, or both?).

Thanks for the information! I will do my homework and see if it makes sense to take a run at it. Not sure if I missed the deadline already for this year (AZ deadline was 12 days ago), but I have a buddy who wants to try and hunt MT, so we'll have to do some research and make it happen. For that long of a drive we'll most likely do the combo tag for deer (Muley, Whitetail, or both?).
Deadline has moved to April 1 for applying: https://fwp.mt.gov/buyandapply/hunting-licenses

In Montana, there are two primary types of licenses:
  • General licenses that can be purchased over the counter
  • Special limited permits and licenses that are available through drawings
The availability of special limited permits and licenses is dependent on the hunting district and/or species you want to hunt, and what you would like to hunt with, such as rifle or archery equipment.

Drawing Applications

Hunters can apply for all special limited licenses and permits beginning March 1. That includes deer, elk, antelope, moose, sheep, goat, bison and B licenses.

To apply for a special license/permit, hunters can apply online through the Online Licensing System or at an FWP regional office. General licenses can be purchased over the counter at all license providers.

Drawings will be completed approximately two weeks after the deadlines.

Deadlines to Apply for Permits

• Deer and elk: April 1
  • Moose, bison, sheep and goat: May 1
  • Antelope, elk and deer B: June 1

Last edited:
Elk are tough critters that can soak up a lot of punishment. In my opinion the 6.5's are best used for deer, Elk medicine starts with the 270 on up to whatever caliber you can handle. Remember a wounded elk never runs toward your truck or ATV!!! Whichever caliber you choose, pick a well designed bullet for optimum performance.

Elk are tough critters that can soak up a lot of punishment. In my opinion the 6.5's are best used for deer, Elk medicine starts with the 270 on up to whatever caliber you can handle. Remember a wounded elk never runs toward your truck or ATV!!! Whichever caliber you choose, pick a well designed bullet for optimum performance.
Agreed! My preferred choice is my 338 RUM with 225/250 grain Barnes... thumper gets it done!!

Having a 338 Sherman Max put together. Should shoot the heavies. After opening this thread, I've found a reason to, uh build another rifle.......Honestly doesn't take a great "reason" for me to determine another rifle is needed.

Agreed! My preferred choice is my 338 RUM with 225/250 grain Barnes... thumper gets it done!!
I have a Pre 64 Model 70 338 win mag with a Shillen Match BBL that weighs under 8 lbs with scope slings and bullets that shoots inside 1/2 MOA that stays mostly in the safe because it kicks a bunch and I don't like muzzle breaks. I have found my tolerance for recoil is a 7.75 Lb 300 WSM. I have lost one elk in my lifetime and that animal was shot with a 284 Win. It was due to a bad angle where deep penetration was needed to reach the vitals. I have since discovered another 100 fps with that rifle due to a switch in powders which probably would have prevented that lost animal. That was my only animal lost since I took my first deer almost 55 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts