Ready for WY Elk hunt?

300PRC or 280AI would get my votes but you will have people say that any of them will work which, is most certainly the case if the cartridge is used within it's limitations.

The 7mm and 30 cals you mention will all work for elk. But since you have time and you know people who have hunted the area you are going to hunt I would talk to them and get as much info as possible. Terrain, weather, long range shots only, or mix of short and long, elevation, how much hiking, etc.... Then I would choose what gun to take or build. You have time and it sounds like a special hunt with the kids, why not take or make the perfect tool for the task.

I've shot elk with a 25-06, a 340 Weatherby and a few in between. They all do the job, but the 340 drops them in their tracks. I've never had one go more than a few steps with it. The 06 was equally as deadly, but that elk was running for a bit, and they cover a LOT of ground in very little time. I prefer to have them stay where I shoot them because they always find the worst terrain to dye in when they run.

Good morning this snowy morning. Planning on hunt with my 3 sons in WY in a couple years and interested in others opinions. Currently own 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Sherman Max, 7 Sherman Max, 300 PRC, 308, and have a 280 AI being built. After that, I move up to a 338 Lapua that is NOT a hunting rifle. So question is, use a 7 Max, 280 AI, 300 PRC, OR build a 338 hunting rifle to use on the hunt? Perhaps a 30 caliber Sherman? What say you?
Good morning this snowy morning. Planning on hunt with my 3 sons in WY in a couple years and interested in others opinions. Currently own 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Sherman Max, 7 Sherman Max, 300 PRC, 308, and have a 280 AI being built. After that, I move up to a 338 Lapua that is NOT a hunting rifle. So question is, use a 7 Max, 280 AI, 300 PRC, OR build a 338 hunting rifle to use on the hunt? Perhaps a 30 caliber Sherman? What say you?
My go to for elk is a fully custom 338 RUM... does everything I need and then some. Shoots better than me and loves the Barnes and Nosler in 250 grain...

Ive used lots from 257 WTBY all the way to 338 Lapua and even 50 cal muzzle loader a few times. My choice out of your guns on here would be the 300PRC. Ive said it before but I just got my "last" elk rifle I got a 340 Weatherby built on arnold arms action light weight 6.85lbs without optics. Ive hunted Wyoming an few times I put in for several years and when I got drawn I took my 338 Lapua and my Accumark 340 WTBY. Carried the 14lb Lapua for 4 days said the heck with that picked up 10 lb 340 next day shot the biggest bull of my life at 470 yards with only 10X scope anchored him on the shot 250gr partition did the trick.

Good luck on your hunt, and making memories that is the BEST part.

Or put in for Montana which has had 100% draw success rate for Non-res for the last several years, with leftover tags after the draw. Currently Montana allows DIY (May change) so you can do it on the cheap.

I can vouch for any of the above cartridges except for the 6.5s. I have no experience with them as I have not bought into the craze yet.
Seattleman,
Is this legit? Seems like most of the West it is a long wait to get drawn for a tag, especially for non-resident. I live in AZ and that is definitely the way here. Do you have any insight into why it's different in Montana? What are success rates? Sorry, I have about 20 questions on this, guess I should just go to the Montana Game and Fish site and start doing some research on my own. Hoping you can provide a little "insider" information. Thanks in advance!

I live in Wyoming. If Elk are the main critter, bring the 300 and the 7 as a backup. If you decide to throw in Antelope or Deer the 6.5 would be a good choice also. So either way would work. The 300 and the 7 as a backup or the 6.5 as a backup. You will be set for prairie dogs thru Grizzly Bears and Yeti's.
And yes I do believe in bringing a back up rifle. Even if your rifle doesnt fail there is no guarantee you wont need another rifle with a working scope and you wont want to be trying to replace one in the field
Good Luck

Good Luck

Seattleman,
Is this legit? Seems like most of the West it is a long wait to get drawn for a tag, especially for non-resident. I live in AZ and that is definitely the way here. Do you have any insight into why it's different in Montana? What are success rates? Sorry, I have about 20 questions on this, guess I should just go to the Montana Game and Fish site and start doing some research on my own. Hoping you can provide a little "insider" information. Thanks in advance!
It is legit but it is not for special draw, thats for a general elk tag draw (and deer as a combo if you want, seasons run concurrently). For the last three years we have had between 10-15k surplus licenses after the draw was over. Those then go on sale OTC first come first serve. They then sell-out.

If you put in for the draw, general tag, its 100%.

Montana manages about 80+% of its units for opportunity rather than quality. The rest is managed for quality and the draw for those hunts are tough like the rest of the West. Some take 25-30+ points like Bitterroot Muleys... Ill never get that tag before I die.

Its doable, if you do your research, to get your elk on a general tag. The memories are worth it regardless!

I hunt a high traffic general unit and had six bulls bugling around us on one day during archery season last year. All of them 5x5 or better, one big old 7x7 that ignored us. Higher traffic this last season than any other too... it was ridiculous, just have to get up earlier and out hike the others...

Last edited:
Pick one rifle and get to know it. Understand where it shoots at the ranges you are comfortable shooting. Pick a good bullet, put it where it counts and start cutting the backstraps out. Sounds like a great trip.....make lots of memorie!

My opinion only. My vote goes to the 280AI. A good premium 140 to 160 bullet and enjoy the hunting 😉

Minimum 180 gr.. everyone needs to remember, mass matters, elk are tuff animals and their bones are big. Accuracy is essential, but mountain winds and steep elevations require that one is practiced and comfortable with their choice of firearm and ready to follow up on all shots taken.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.