Reading Recommendation

jevyod

I am not a long range shooter, but would like to become more proficient at more extended ranges. I don't know what is considered long range or medium range, but I am talking 400-500 yards. Is there a good book available that will teach me the basics? I am a hunter, and enjoy shooting and find myself shooting more than hunting. Never shot beyond 200 yards at the range, and longest kill was a doe at 200 yards. I feel pretty confident at 200, but beyond that is unknown for me. Goal is to become good enough to consistently shoot MOA at 500 yards. Also, along with that is there a good pattern and dimensions for a shooting bench? I shoot at my friends place, he has a shooting shed with just a plywood framed bench...he is talking about making one out of concrete and asked me about size and height since I am the one that uses it most. Any help/useful advice will be appreciated!

Yes I am very fortunate. He is a younger guy that just bought the place from his dad. Wants to redo the whole shooting shed. Told him to let me know when he wants to do it, and I will be helping. Targets at 25,50,100,200,300,400. The one at 500 needs a bit of work, but plan on getting that one up soon as well. It is nice having it close....around deer season there are many who use it to make sure their guns are in, but the rest of the time not many use it. The owner does like to shoot as well, so that helps. 99% of the time I am there alone....fine with me!!

Applied ballistics for long range shooting by Bryan Lizt. Bryan has written several books on long range shooting, so I would start your search with him to see what would work for you.

Networking around your area for someone with some experience isn't a bad idea either. I was fortunate to learn in person and supplemented that with reading over the years. Maybe there are a few others that are on this forum in your area that you could hook up with.
Bryan Litz is a good option as well. Ryan Cleckner has a book out about shooting at distance, have not read it yet, but may be worth a look also.

I am not a long range shooter, but would like to become more proficient at more extended ranges. I don't know what is considered long range or medium range, but I am talking 400-500 yards. Is there a good book available that will teach me the basics? I am a hunter, and enjoy shooting and find myself shooting more than hunting. Never shot beyond 200 yards at the range, and longest kill was a doe at 200 yards. I feel pretty confident at 200, but beyond that is unknown for me. Goal is to become good enough to consistently shoot MOA at 500 yards. Also, along with that is there a good pattern and dimensions for a shooting bench? I shoot at my friends place, he has a shooting shed with just a plywood framed bench...he is talking about making one out of concrete and asked me about size and height since I am the one that uses it most. Any help/useful advice will be appreciated!
Welcome, Glad to have you here on LRH. You got some good replys so I won't add too much to that but I will say, don't try to learn it all in one day. Learn at a pace you are comfortable with and keeps it fun. I learn something new everyday but truth be known, the Masters of this sport are still learning new things also.

Ryan Cleckner has a nice introductory book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/151865472X/?tag=lrhmag19-20

He also did a number of videos for NSSF a few years ago online.

If you've got the basic ideas down but are wondering about the details, the book by Bryan Litz, "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" is very good.
Another thumbs up for the Cleckner and Litz books! I go back to rereading them fairly regularly

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts