read this , it upset me

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thousand Yard Kill Shot with a Ruger?

My friend recently purchased a Ruger M77 300 win. mag.. He is trying to tell us he can make a clean kill on a mature bull elk at 1,000 yds. I think he is thinking way to much of his gun. If a shot like that is possible what size of rifle would it take to accomplish this. Thanks for your time and I'll hope to hear back from you. — Jarrod

The bullet will fly that far. And there are target games that require shooting 1,000 yards. But! No ethical sportsman would attempt a thousand yard shot on any animal! The probability of missing is too great and the chance of a follow up shot too remote. And the target energy at that distance is down to about that of a 38 special. If your friend managed to hit an Elk at that range, he's more likely to hit a hoof than a clean kill shot. The bullet drop is about four times the height of an elk. Wind conditions, too unknown to lob a round that distance and risk wounding an animal.

If you had some reason to actually try this, other than lazy hunting, you'd need one of the rifles from Barrett or McMillan chambering the 50 caliber BMG (Browning Machine Gun) round.

Nothing wrong with being proud of the capabilities of the Ruger, but let's not try to convert that pride to unethical hunting shots.

here is the website... http://www.shootingusa.com/GUN_QUESTIONS/gun_questions.html#2

was looking into the new show... dont know if want to watch it now... what is every one's thoughts...
thanks

[ 06-11-2004: Message edited by: JordanM ]

Awful easy to get caught up in a ****ing match about a subject like this and honestly the best thing to do is walk away from it. Shake your head in disgust at how un-educated and narrow minded most people are.
And then come over here and appreciate the guys on this board....

"more likely to hit a hoof than a clean kill shot".

Typical, not letting facts getting in the way of an emotional outburst. The kill area in a mature elk is (conservatively) about the size of a medium pizza pan, say about 14" diameter. Yielding about 167 square inches.

The hooves are about the size of a horse's hooves, about 10 square inches (vertically oriented as they would be when animal is standing), or 40 square inches total for a four-legged beast.

So, there's a 4x greater chance of hitting the kill area as hitting a hoof.
rolleyes.gif

Why get upset?
think of the fun you could have asking this guy some other questions
grin.gif

You are right. No sense getting all wound up over opinions. Seen too much of it to wory about what other folks think about!!

I met one of those boastful guys in the neighborhood gunshop the other day. He was telling everyone he "regularely" kills groundhogs at 1,000yds+ with his 25-06.
When I asked him what type of rangefinder he had been using, he looked at me like I had two heads and said that he and his buddies don't need them. I probably should have known that.

Man, those guys are GOOD!
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

VH

[ 06-12-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Jim Scoutten e-mailed back,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with your friends on the board. Best to ignore this disagreement.

Jim Scoutten
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 8:44 PM
Subject: Gun Questions... Who answer these??

I wanted to know the reasoning behind the answer to the Thousand Yard Kill Shot with a Ruger? .... it seems to me the person who answered it doesn't know to much about long range shooting... calling it "unethical" "lazy hunting"..... Just to let you know I have posted your answer on www.longrangehunting.com on the general discussion board... I hope to receive a reply from you.

Thank You

I guess i should have just ignored it like every other comments we read... oh well guess i learned my leason.

I work for a large outdoors company and get to speak with these types of people all the time. One guy killed a yote at a mile with a .17 remington. No rangefinder!

Ya know, I practice and I practice. I've a very good LR rifle. I spent a great deal of time working loads for LR use.

All this.... and I still cannot hit an elk in the hoof at 1000 yards.

What am I doing wrong??
grin.gif

~Holmes

doubleD,

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today. You had me "nearly" falling out of my chair with that one.
smile.gif

Don

Jim, Scouten... is this the guy that on TV that always has the neatly pressed shirts and jeans.... I think he's on espn...if this is the guy I think he is... man... I wouldn't worry about what he says, thinks or feels.... all he is doing is spitting out the PC verbage that the networks and manufactures are telling him to spit out... not worth the time or energy to argue...

I have yet to hit the elusive hoof... although there isn't a spot in Boone and Crocket yet.. this is due to actual low number of recorded kills on hooves but I bet you need at least a 5" width or 6" length... and mass... well.. I really have no way to field score that one yet... I lost alot of good clients that way.. not being able to field score hooves...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.