Reaching Into the Past - The 219 Donaldson Wasp

ADMIN

Administrator
It's hard to believe that some of the varmint cartridges that originated in the early part of the last century are still doing an excellent job on small game. As far back as 1912, Savage offered the 22 Hi Power cartridge in their Model 99, and it delivered a 70 grain bullet at 2790 feet per second. This cartridge is no longer available in the US but is still somewhat popular in Europe, and known as the 5.6×52mmR. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Reaching Into the Past - The 219 Donaldson Wasp, By Glenn Burroughs. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Here is a photo of my first .219 Donaldson Wasp. It is a falling block from EA Brown. I used Wilson half neck size die and seater on the prepared Hornady 30/30 brass from EA Brown. I was impressed with the quality of the EA Brown barrel. I tried to make .219 Donalson brass using a form die from C-H and RWS .22 Highpower brass from Hunington. I made two cases successfully but ruined several. I will try to anneal before trying again. Reloader 17 and 55 gr bullets was my best combination for both velocity and accuracy. I use the Berger and Hornady manuals for load data. You can safely use .223 Remington maximums. I like to neck size only so I do not hot rod this cartridge. I have .220 Swift rifles for that.

My next .219 DW rifle is still being assembled. I will report soon.

Attachments

• P1030087.jpg
    P1030087.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 288
First time to write. I'm looking at a Ruger #1 in 219 Donaldson Wasp. First question, should I buy this cartridge? Love the look of the gun, what would its value be? Thanks

I shoot this cartridge in a 1878 Sharps Borchardt (no hammer!). I like to use .223 Remington data as a starting point and work up from there. I have a 28 inch 9 twist nitrocarburized barrel. I use the formed brass from EA Brown. I size the necks and seat with Wilson dies. I try to keep the pressure down so I only have to neck size. I have one ground squirrel trip with it, 200 rounds, my choice was 55 gr Ballistic Silvertips over VV N-135 at 3299 fps. I shoot paper and clay pigeons at the back wall of the club range at 550 yards with 69gr Match Kings and 70 gr RFDs.

Attachments

• DSCN0237.JPG
    DSCN0237.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
Thanks for the reply. Very nice looking rifle. This #1 Ruger is like new condition, only 8 shots through it. I did see that EA Brown does carry the brass for the Wasp, so that makes it much easier to get started reloading. This gun has a muzzle brake and set trigger on it as well. Wondering what the value of it would be. I know the caliber is rare in the Ruger, but not buying it for that reason. Thanks for your information and feedback.

Thanks for the info, I just picked it up yesterday for 1400. This makes me feel good about my decision. I'am excited to see how it will shoot.

Now spend some of that money you saved and get some EA Brown cases and Wilson Dies. What bullets and distances are you interested in?

Sorry if this does not apply to actual shooting but I have a story about the wasp which I remember from when I was about 5 or 6 in the middle 1960's. My dad was a tool & die maker for the military cannon factory close to our home. he had a friend that was a well known gunsmith. My father would go down to his shop on Saturday mornings and take me. It seemed that if his friend had some 'smithing issues he would call my father and he would stop down on Sat mornings. From what I recall one day I was on a stool at the counter watching the two of them work on the lathe and he was talking about a new gun his buddy was making and it was called the Wasp. The guy and my fathers friend were shooting groundhogs across a river with it as I remember and my dad was saying how was that possible and I remember his friend smiling and nodding yes they were.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.