Re loading

Cody Bruland

Just wondering what your guys's go to equipment for re-loading is or favorite videos, fairly new to the long range game and don't want to spare any expense to have the right stuff to last me a long time

I can't really reference any videos, as I was taught most everything I know by my Father, and a few other things by reading on here and other long range sites. Hopefully someone else has some good videos to share with you. However, I do have preferred equipment.

I use an RCBS rockchucker press, on a VERY sturdy bench. I don't like movement when I run my press. For trimming, I use a Lyman e-z trim hooked up to my dewalt drill, super fast. I use the Hornady OAL gauge for finding the lands, but I do not use the hornady brass. I fire my own rounds, then sacrifice a piece of brass to use for that specific gun to get an cartridge base to ogive measurment. I have an RCBS set of analog calipers for measuring. I use a frankford arsenal digital scale, one of my pieces of equipment that I would like to upgrade. I dump powder from an RCBS uniflow dispenser and weigh every charge. I'm sure I'm missing many other pieces, but those are the main ones. I can say, that RCBS has fantastic customer service. I had a handle break on a press I was using, I have no idea how old it was, I purchased it for $25 at a garage sale, I called them as I could not find one on their catalog, and was going to see if I could purchase one. Instead, they sent me the handle, free of shipping and any charge. This thing could have been 30 years old or more, and I have no idea who originally owned it. That kind of sealed it for me, I prefer RCBS for my presses. My rockchucker press is very consistent and sturdy, sizing even stubborn brass is not a challenge.

If budget not an issue Redding,Forster, or Whidden micrometer seating dies. I just picked up a Forster Co-ax press the other day. I'm very impressed with it, priming on it is slow but there's so many other good quality priming tools on the market that hasn't been an issue for me. I resized about 800 223 brass in under an hour on that press the other day without a single primer hitting the floor. There is absolutely no way I could of done that on my old RCBS press that quickly and without primers ending up all over the place. Definitely a press worth checking out.

I can't really reference any videos, as I was taught most everything I know by my Father, and a few other things by reading on here and other long range sites. Hopefully someone else has some good videos to share with you. However, I do have preferred equipment.

I use an RCBS rockchucker press, on a VERY sturdy bench. I don't like movement when I run my press. For trimming, I use a Lyman e-z trim hooked up to my dewalt drill, super fast. I use the Hornady OAL gauge for finding the lands, but I do not use the hornady brass. I fire my own rounds, then sacrifice a piece of brass to use for that specific gun to get an cartridge base to ogive measurment. I have an RCBS set of analog calipers for measuring. I use a frankford arsenal digital scale, one of my pieces of equipment that I would like to upgrade. I dump powder from an RCBS uniflow dispenser and weigh every charge. I'm sure I'm missing many other pieces, but those are the main ones. I can say, that RCBS has fantastic customer service. I had a handle break on a press I was using, I have no idea how old it was, I purchased it for $25 at a garage sale, I called them as I could not find one on their catalog, and was going to see if I could purchase one. Instead, they sent me the handle, free of shipping and any charge. This thing could have been 30 years old or more, and I have no idea who originally owned it. That kind of sealed it for me, I prefer RCBS for my presses. My rockchucker press is very consistent and sturdy, sizing even stubborn brass is not a challenge.
Right on appreciate all the good info exactly what I was looking for!

If budget not an issue Redding,Forster, or Whidden micrometer seating dies. I just picked up a Forster Co-ax press the other day. I'm very impressed with it, priming on it is slow but there's so many other good quality priming tools on the market that hasn't been an issue for me. I resized about 800 223 brass in under an hour on that press the other day without a single primer hitting the floor. There is absolutely no way I could of done that on my old RCBS press that quickly and without primers ending up all over the place. Definitely a press worth checking out.
I'm gonna look into those!, what site do you like to order from?

Hornady headspace and bullet comparators are a must for accurate and consistent measurements. Pair them with quality digital and manual calipers, the best you can afford.

As was mentioned, quality brass will save you money in the long run. Lapua, ADG, Norma and Nosler come to mind.

For dies and presses, I like Redding and Forester. Great products and good customer service.

For powder throwing, I use the RCBS Chargemaster, but use a high quality scale to get .02 gr accuracy on charge weights. There's quite a few dollars difference in available scales, depending on what your budget will allow. The best electronic scales and most popular are the A&D FX 120i @ $600. Balance scales are much cheaper.

You'll also need deburring and chamfer tools, primer seating tools, a case trimmer, case lube, a brass tumbler & media and a chronograph to monitor your loads as you learn. It's probably more stuff than you had figured on, but it's a great hobby, though can be expensive. Good Luck to your new venture.

I started reloading about two years ago and I really enjoy doing it. I bought the rcbs supreme kit that had everything,then a charge master then a case trimmer then a tumbler it's quite a rabbit hole cause I still need more! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Started with a lee anniversary set years ago and still use the lee press and auto prime. RCBS chargemaster and RCBS scales that were given to me by my grandfather. My dies are all over the place from lee, rcbs,redding, whidden etc..
Welcome to the club!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.