Re chambering

DONTSTROKEME

I have a Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag, lots of brass and good dies. It seats the SMK 168gr onto the lands and leaves maybe 3/16th of an inch in the neck. This isn't where I would load it to of course but that is using my Stoney Point chamber guage. I recieved the rifle from my dad so I can't get rid of it....he had abunch of old "HOT" loads that somebody made for him and they were very long as well. I guess that the throat is just too long???? I am wondering if it would be good to rechamber it to 7mm STW? Wayne York said that he would be able to do this, he is "oregunsmithing" out of Pendelton OR. Has anyone heard of him?

My main reason for doing this is to be able to shoot more accuratly, not to break the 5000fps mark.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Also I am up for your pros and cons on this matter.

Joe Oakes

So what kind of groups does it shoot if the bullet is not jammed? Ruger #1 typically have a good amount of freebore but that should not be the issue in acheiveing accuracy.

Try three other bullets: 160 Accubond, 175 SMK, and 180 Berger. These bullets may (or maynot ) jump a little better. I personally never had a problem getting the 168 to jump and shoot well.

Just on the off chance that you have been reading too many posts on the forum and gotten mentally deranged, I will say that if you can get the gun to shoot five shoots under MOA at three hundred yards then you should be happy. I suggest that 100 yard groups may not be representative with the 168 of what your longer range groups will look like. I would test the other three bullets at 300 also. Forget the 100 yard stuff for this.

Secondly, consistency of how you rest the foreeend and on what may be critical (or may not). Mine always performed much better with a rolled up towel under the foreend. A hard sandbag caused groups to go way vertical.

Thirdly, scope mounting can be a tribulation and if it is not mounted correctly you will not have the correct eye relief and then it is nearly impossible to shoot well.

Now then, in my opinion, just rechambering the barrel may leave you exactly where you are. You are blaiming the guns performance on freebore when it could be a half dozen other things related to the barrel. If you want a differnt cartridge then get a whole new barrel and have it chambered with a reamer that suits you by a gunsmith who will do you a good job. Maybe the one you have chosen will do that, I am on the east coast and do not know.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag, lots of brass and good dies. It seats the SMK 168gr onto the lands and leaves maybe 3/16th of an inch in the neck. This isn't where I would load it to of course but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not??

One of the benefits of the #1 is that you can seat the bullet out to the lands and not worry about the magazine.. and the gun might shoot well at whatever length you choose.

Why not just load it up and try it for a while before "messin' with it"!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.