Re-chambering a 270 to a 30/06

schwabdog

G-day I have a question,
I own a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 win left hand, (15mm at muzzle) and I was thinking when I were out the barrel in steed of re-bare ling the rifle, can I get it re-chamber to a 30 06. Because the 270 and 30 06 use the same brass and bolt…………..
Just a thought…..
Any on whit this kind of experience….
Thanks…..
Just another one of my thought's

No, Rechambering would require you to choose a cartridge that uses same diameter. yours is currently drilled .277. To make your .270 a 30-06 you will need to buy a .308 drilled and rifled barrel.

But Your correct that your bolt face and action are the same. The brass can be used to neck up to .308 but may need trimmed.

Your choice using the same barrel are set back and clean up the throat. If Smith feels there is enough barrel to do thins with.

You could create your own wildcat maybe otherwise your left with .270 wsm and weatheryby and both would require a new bolt due to case head diameter.

Some of the more experienced gun builders can add clarity or correction but I think this to be correct.

Of course you can have your barrel bored out to .30 cal and the .30-06 is the logical choice. Your rifle would end up a little lighter over-all.
But... will you be happy with the .30-06 cartridge after becoming so familiar with the magnificent .270 performance? I made the mistake in my younger days of adding a .30-06 in the belief I was "stepping up". It was just the start of a journey in looking for a cartridge that out-performed the .270. The .30-06 didn't do that. Sure, the bigger magnums I tried blew bigger holes in game, and I still own and use a number of them, they are deadly! But the .270 properly placed is also a brilliant killer. And with it's light recoil it is the easiset big game cartridge to place shots where they do the most good.

G-day I have a question,
I own a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 win left hand, (15mm at muzzle) and I was thinking when I were out the barrel in steed of re-bare ling the rifle, can I get it re-chamber to a 30 06. Because the 270 and 30 06 use the same brass and bolt…………..
Just a thought…..
Any on whit this kind of experience….
Thanks…..
Just another one of my thought's

All you need to do is buy a new barrel in the caliber of your choice and have it rechambered .

Your action is set up for the 270 and without any changes be converted to a 25/06, 6.5/06,
280 rem, 30/06, 35 Whelen and any of the AIs based on the 30/06 case.

All are good choices and I especally like the 280 AI for its all round performance in these cartriges.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts