Re-Boring Barrels?

GLTaylor

OK, Got a question for you gurus.
I've got a couple of good barrels I replaced for new ones with a faster twist.
Who can rebore/redrill my old barrels to a slightly larger bore and re-do the rifling?
Good idea or not?
Regards.

It just seems sketchy. Maybe it isn't, but I'm leary of the process

I've thought about this a few times and have decided not to mainly because I would be doing to factory barrels which may or may not be straight anyway. Plus by the time I have it rebored, threaded, and chambered it will be around the same cost as a new barrel. Even if you just get it rebored and chambered your still looking at $500-550 added on to the original cost of that barrel.

One of the guys I hunt with has a 35 whelen that's been rebored up from 30-06 on a Winchester 70. It was done by JES. The thing could shoot tacks all day. So yes, it's possible. And yes, the results can be very good. Should you do it? Meh. The cost of reboring is similar to that of just buying a new barrel and having it done. Maybe $100 more for new barrel vs rebore, but I'd personally rather just get a new barrel. If I'm buying a gun I'd rather see "Bartlein barrel" than "factory barrel rechambed and bored." That and you can choose more options with a new barrel than an existing one, such as exact profile, material (stainless vs blues) fluting, etc. but that's just by .02

I've thought about this a few times and have decided not to mainly because I would be doing to factory barrels which may or may not be straight anyway. Plus by the time I have it rebored, threaded, and chambered it will be around the same cost as a new barrel. Even if you just get it rebored and chambered your still looking at $500-550 added on to the original cost of that barrel.
Until I get a barrel from ER shaw that won't shoot a .5moa group, I can't imagine paying $550 to have one machined. I have 4 er shaw barrels, the most expensive one was just over $300. Every one of them shoots better than my own ability.

Oregon Gunsmithing bored my 6.5 out to 8mm. It came out fine. I didn't buy a new barrel because this one is already fluted. Twisted Barrel took off seven ounces.

Seems like a waste to toss a once great shooting barrel that has been contoured & threaded. I use my once nice barrels for pinning railroad ties together to make retaining walls. I have heard that re-bore might have problems with stainless.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.