Re-Boring 30-06 to 35 Whelen

I've got a 1917 Enfield that was bored to 35 Whelen and a pre 64 model 70 rebored to 338/06. Both shoot better than I can. I have had 35 Whelen improved and 35 Brown Whelen but prefer the original 35 Whelen myself.

1656732610257.png

1656732723318.png

Great, thank you for this illustration. I've got a 35 Whelen that I use for black bear hunting and "it" crushes black bear; one and done. I was thinking of making them an Ackley Improved, however don't believe that I need anything more. I don't believe one would need anything more for grizzly hunting, however if I were to go on a grizzly hunt, I "would" be taking a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. Again thank you for showing me the difference.

If i were limited to a 3006 to rebore i would do a 35 Whelen of some variety, since I'm not limited, I'm taking my 340 Wby on my grizzly hunt in August

JES has been doing this for a long time - about 99% of the feed back that I've read has been positive and any complaints were almost all based on cosmetics not on accuracy. Your other option will be a full rebarrel charge at twice the price that JES charges for a rebore + you'll still have to buy a barrel blank. My next 338-06 is going to be from JES.

Preferred barrel blanks makes prefits for howa. I got one in 25-06 and it's a lazer with 115vld's....... but they don't have a 2 week turn around and would cost twice as much. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

One day I will have all the 06 based cartridges from 25-06 to 35wheelen and this might be a good route to go to get er done.

If the barrel steel is good, has a good heat treat from birth and the company has good reamers, that reamer set should follow the original bore all the way thru. Rifling wise, I'm not sure if they do single point.
It takes all of the above to get a decent bore finish anyway. Sounds like the majority like the results.

Great, thank you for this illustration. I've got a 35 Whelen that I use for black bear hunting and "it" crushes black bear; one and done. I was thinking of making them an Ackley Improved, however don't believe that I need anything more. I don't believe one would need anything more for grizzly hunting, however if I were to go on a grizzly hunt, I "would" be taking a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. Again thank you for showing me the difference.

It's not always the "more" that the Ackleys bring to the table. In the many situations where folks state that the improvement in case capacity doesn't really add much to the velocity side, the real answer is that the improvement provides a greater selection of powders which enhance the performance of those cartridges. And these days, a greater selection is a definite plus when considering the powders you have on hand.

The other improvement using the Ackley style or similar is the better performance of headspace control. This can be true with the caliber changes using the -06 case design. This becomes more appreciable when expanding up to the .375 Whelen AI or the .400 Whelen AI. The steeper shoulder creates a more positive headspace feature than the original mildly sloping shoulder of the -'06 case.

1656859892346.png