Re-barrelling a Springfield

seans

I have an old 1903A3 that my Dad sporterized back in the 50's. I put a timney trigger on it and a B&C stock and pillar bedded, but the accuracy still sucks. Shoots 3 or 4 inch groups at 100 yds with most ammo. This gun has a lot of sentimental value and I use it for whitetails because the accuracy is fine for where I hunt, but I would love to get it to close to a MOA.

The action is very worn in (the bolt almost falls open if you turn it upside down), so I am guessing it has had many rounds through it. Do you think the problem is that the barrel is just shot out and re-barrelling would do wonders or could it be some fundamental problem with the action? Is it worth spending money on or should I just be happy with it as my short range whitetail gun?

Deciding if the action is suitable for re-barreling can only be done "hands on" by someone who knows what they're looking at. Most all custom barrel makers will "copy a customers barrel contour" so there would be an almost "drop in' fit into the stock , depending on who fits the barrel to the action. Some charge a few extra $$ for that, some don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.