Re-barrel

I have several E.R. Shaw barrels . They all shoot under an inch , no problem. Most under 1/2 inch. Mine are all stainless 6.5 , 1/8 twist. A great hunting barrel. If you want a competition quality barrel then be prepared to spend considerably more moiney. It all comes down to your personal preference. What works for you is whats most important to you..

Last edited:
Thanks, Hespco. I have a rem 700 in 22-250 with a heavy bull barrel. I think the factory twist for this rifle is 1/14. I am 84 yrs old and think I want to lighten my load with a regular barrel. I load all the cal rifles that I have. I am getting 1/2" groups @ 100 using Hornady V-match 55 gr. I am wondering if I would get better groups with this heavy bullet with a 1/12 twist. I plan on a conversation with Shaw on Monday

I don't own a 22-250, but do have a .223 with a 1/9 twist. It stabilizes & shoots very pleasing groups with bullets up to 70grs. I believe a 1/12 twist might be too slow for bullets above 55grs. Just some thoughts ...

I do have a .22-250 with a 1 in 8" twist. It is my most accurate rifle. Shoots way better than I can. Pac-Nor stainless match. Shoots anything from 40-grain v-max to the 75-grain Scirrocco into itty-bitty groups. Sporter weight and 24".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.