Re-barrel

One way to separate them is whether you think a cut or a button barrel is better. I have only used factory barrels but once upon a time I researched it a little. Cut barrels: Bartlein, Brux, HS Precision, Rick Creek, Rocky Mountain Arms. Krieger offered either. I think Lilja is Button. Douglas, PAC-nor, Shaw, Shilen, unknown.

I've got cut, buttoned , & factory hammer forged. If I'm gonna spend the same money on a buttoned as a cut, I would probably go cut. But honestly, if it wasn't a competition rifle that would see many consecutive shots, I'm speculative about how much difference would really be noticed if all three methods of rifling were chambered by a highly competent gunsmith & loads were tuned for each. I'm guessing there would be some difference but not as much as most would think.

I have put on Brux, shilen, Lilja, Hart, Pacnor, McGown,Schneider.The only thing I can say is the cut rifled barrels seem to be closer to spec. I have had to order oversize bushings for more than one button barrel. But all shot well. I put a button barrel on a blueprinted DuMoulin mauser. Hunting weight rifle and barrel in 28 nosler. Used a .2774 bushing. Man I built it for sent me a picture of a 3 shot 1/2 inch group shot at 300 yards with hunting bullets. Go figure. Put them all in a barrel and close your eyes and grab one. You can get a great shooting cheap barrel too. But your chances of getting a dud with one of the top line barrels is very slim.

I have two criterion remage barrels. One in 280 rem and one in 243 win and both shoot under 1/2" with Sierra gamekings and not much for load development. I have a Bruce in 243 as well and it doesn't shoot any better than the criterion. Of course a lot of that is probably the guy behind the controls also.

Last edited:
I try to buy based on caliber. 6mm and 6.5 I buy Hawkhill or Brux. I like Broughton for 30cals. And I like Shilen for 22 cals. Shilens have been known for 22 barrels that like to run fast. If our a 222 guy you probably like speed so I would Look at them. But really its hard to go wrong with any that have been mentioned.

Anyone have enough experience with Criterion bbls to comment? Is it a fact the builders used to be with Krueger?
Yes they used to be in the same building, Criterions are hand lapped button rifled and seem to be very accurate for the cost. I just ordered a Criterion for a savage long range gun, I also have a Lothar Walther which is very accurate, and a McGowan.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.