Re-barrel

The barrels mentioned by @bpcrshooter and @JMW67 are all top notch. Some other good ones include Hart, Mullerworks, Broughton, and Lilja. The best thing to do is find a barrel in stock in the caliber, twist, and contour you want, and order it. There are a dozen or so good barrel makers today and you really can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned.

In the words of my smith "they are so competitive it doesn't take long to thin the herd if they can't produce." I've used Bartlein, Hart, Lilja and Kreiger....never had a dud yet

Over the years, ive had 2-Bartlein (just ordered #3), 3-Broughton, 6-Hawk Hill (one is spun and waiting), 1-Lawton, and 1-Rock Creek (in waiting). Usually, I went with whatever cut rifled barrel was in stock in the profile I wanted. I've gotten good accuracy from all of them, the one HH I toasted didn't last as long as I thought, but I was using a solid charge of RL16 and a longer bearing surface bullet. I had a Broughton that just seemed to last forever.

Bugholes.com is a good place find in stock barrels to skip the wait. Just bought a Brux from them and it shipped quick.

There are many good barrel makers. A lot of shooters swear by some of them and a few swear at them. Buy any one of them that have good reputations and have a good gunsmith install it and you should be happy with it. If you want bench rest accuracy, prepare to pay more. I have been in a "hobby" gunsmith class and we have rebarreled many rifles and have had good results with them. We have also used take off factory barrels and trued the actions have built sub MOA shooters. Also, don't bore scope a barrel unless you can't get it to shoot well. Some times I rue the day day I bought my bore scope. You can see the slightest imperfections even though there are imperfections they don't affect accuracy. Do some home work follow your heart and good luck.

I can only speak for what I own. I have 1 Hart and 3 Douglas barrels. All of them are great barrels. 2 of the Douglas barrels were already on the guns when I inherited them (6.5-300 built in the late 60's early 70's and a 7mm-300wby built in the late 70's). The third Douglas I purchased because Hart didn't make a .17. My Hart is a 28" 6.5-284 and I got a 6.8" 10 shot group at 1k during competition at Williamsport. I know the gun had more in it than I was able to pull out of it. You won't be disappointed with either maker.

I know it's not a very sexy brand but I have had great luck with Lilja. Wonderfully accurate in my 300 WM. Best shooting barrel I have ever owned.

The gunsmith you choose to do the work is more important than the barrel maker. Tons of great barrels out there now. Find a smith that does more compatition rifles and you should be good.
Shep
Amen x10000. Don't make them everyday

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.