Re-Barrel

Standbanger

A few years back I rolled my ATV and bent the barrel on my Remington 700. I sent it off to get it repaired. This all long before I became interested in shooting a little further out. It is 7MM-08 with Jewell Trigger and B&C stock. I am now thinking I could have it re-barreled with a Bartlien, Brux or other reputable barrel maker in maybe 7MMSAUM or other possible short action LR calibers. What are other good ideas. I am now shooting a Savage Model 10 in 6.5CM.

I just sent mine out to get rebarreled by Hart. New 26" Sendero contour, bead blasted, lugs lapped and trued and sent back to me for about ~740. Didn't think it was too pricey and from what I read prior to choosing Hart, they are supposed to be one of the top few.

Good luck!

If you do decide to rebarrel and change to a cartridge that uses a larger diameter cartridge, a lot of additional work is entailed. The bolt face needs to be opened up to the larger diameter and a new extractor cut needs to be machined as the standard Remington extractor will not work. The magazine set up needs to be addressed either by altering the feed rails and changing the magazine box or by installing a center feed magazine. It is certainly possible and done all the time, but it may be more economical to start with a new or used magnum action and sell the old one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.