Re-barrel dilemma

Anytime you get into the hotter 7mm's barrel life becomes and issue. When a customer calls and doesn't know what cartridge he/she wants to run, I kinda sigh, because of so many options. A good problem but a problem. The 26 nosler, 6.5 CM, and the 6.5 PRC are all great cartridges. I would stick with smaller cartridges, they equal less powder and right now that means more shooting. Also, if you go with a carbon barrel, recoil on larger cartridges can become an issue. You may want to look at some of the 6mm stuff too.

Just build it as 26 Nosler, you like the gun barrels are "usable" commodity just the price to pay for getting the accuracy and use out of the rifle. Plus, you already said it's sentimental to you, just have a good smith spin another barrel up for you and don't look back... if your happy thats all that matters I've changed calibers and not been happy with the change. Dont over think it.

Howdy Folks,

I'm looking for a little input on which direction to go. I have a Nosler M48 Liberty chambered in 26 Nosler. I have it in a McMillan game hunter stock. I am sentimentally attached to the rifle for several reasons so a new gun isn't an option. I would like to rebarrel it with a proof carbon fiber sendero lite at around 22 inches. The trouble I'm having is which cartridge to go with. The 26 slams mulies and does horrible things to pronghorn. I like it as a hunting cartridge, and now days with things crazy it's one of the only things on the shelf consistantly. My concern is I don't want another rebarrel in the near future. Once I work up a good load and get good dope on the rifle out to 1200 yards the throat is going to be half gone again. I'm thinking something like the 6.5 PRC, 7mm WSM or SAUM. I do have some brass and dies for the SAUM already, but I'm not opposed to buying more ammo or dies. I also have several boxes of 26 Nosler still. Should I just go with the Nosler again or should I go one of my other choices? I'm spinning my tires at this point. No the 7mm Rem mag is not an option. I don't want any belted cartridges. Not looking for anything bigger either as I have a full custom 300 PRC. What do you folks think?

Thanks
SShultz
6.5 Leopard

Howdy Folks,

I'm looking for a little input on which direction to go. I have a Nosler M48 Liberty chambered in 26 Nosler. I have it in a McMillan game hunter stock. I am sentimentally attached to the rifle for several reasons so a new gun isn't an option. I would like to rebarrel it with a proof carbon fiber sendero lite at around 22 inches. The trouble I'm having is which cartridge to go with. The 26 slams mulies and does horrible things to pronghorn. I like it as a hunting cartridge, and now days with things crazy it's one of the only things on the shelf consistantly. My concern is I don't want another rebarrel in the near future. Once I work up a good load and get good dope on the rifle out to 1200 yards the throat is going to be half gone again. I'm thinking something like the 6.5 PRC, 7mm WSM or SAUM. I do have some brass and dies for the SAUM already, but I'm not opposed to buying more ammo or dies. I also have several boxes of 26 Nosler still. Should I just go with the Nosler again or should I go one of my other choices? I'm spinning my tires at this point. No the 7mm Rem mag is not an option. I don't want any belted cartridges. Not looking for anything bigger either as I have a full custom 300 PRC. What do you folks think?

Thanks
SShultz
6.5 Leopard is an option. Throat life would be a little better.

Howdy Folks,

Thanks
SShultz
Personally, I'm partial to the 280 Ackley. You may want to look at that.

How about a slower 6.5mm. 6.5CM is still a murdering machine on mulies and prongs.
I have not been a "fan" of the 6.5CM because everyone jumped on the wagon when it came out. I'm glad I waited until this year to buy a very cheap 6.5CM. (Savage Axis) I used it on white tail this year just to see if it's all that everyone say it is. Now this will be my go to caliber for deer. I'm just glad I wait until we got decent bullets that expanded and do the job.

I love my 270 wsm. It has a 1/8 twist and shoots 165 gr Matrix at 2985 fps, shoots the lighter 130 grn as well, all very accurate. Store bought ammo will be readily available. Not sure how well it would shoot with a 22" barrel though. Mine is a 26". Good luck, and have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.