Re Barrel a post 64?

RemingtonShooter

I have a old post 64 Winchester 70 in a 243. I was thinking of getting new barrel in a 7mm-08 or 260. Wht the best least expensive way to do this? Naturally, it may be cheaper just to sell it and get a Tikka , etc.... Thoughts?

I don't know how much Tikkas are, but for the price of a new Winchester you could turn your current rifle into a semi custom to --your-- own specs, & you'd --know-- it'd be an accurate rifle.

Or you could go buy a run of the mill, factory rifle, in most any brand, for about the same money, & play Russian roulette as to weather you'd get an accurate rifle or not.

There are quite a few folks here that hold Tikka in high regard, like LTLR, & Tikamike, for example. These guys are well respected shooters, & LRH members too.
There are a few guys here that absolutely can't stand em too.

I'm not swayed for or against Tikka. I've never owned or shot one, so I have no opinion on them whatsoever.
But I did decide to send in my post 64 pushfeed Winnie in for a semi custom instead of buying a brand new rifle. They are Excellent platforms to build on, should you choose the semi custom route, with a Huge aftermarket support.
Good luck on your decision

+1. I would rebarrel the Winchester. I have used them for years, both original and rebarreled with good success. I have some experience with the Tikka. It shot, and functioned ok but it's a very cheaply constructed rifle. Very rough action, and the stainless barrel and action wasn't so stainless in that it didn't stand up to the elements very well. You get what you pay for. IMHO.

Re-barrel the model 70 in 260 it were me, the model 70 action is the longest of the short actions and could handle the 260 fairly well unless you plan on shooting long 140 gr. bullets exclusively. In that case, you would have to seat bullets deep and may take up a little case capacity with powder and bullets may have to be seated out to the lands and turn the rifle into a 2 shot rifle. That is why I like long actions.
Keep that rifle, it is American made and is a very good, under appreciated rifle action, with a new barrel of a good manufactorer like Douglas would turn it into a tack driver. You will love a 260, the 6.5 cal. performs very well, it just works, gotta love 'em.lightbulb
FE

I to have a simular problem, 700 ADL. -.06 . I get too attached to my rifles. I hate to see it go- but it owes me nothing/ for all the good times it has given me . My impulse is to pillar bed it , and bed it and religate it to bullets less than 150 gr for varmints. But on the other hand - $250 off a new Weatherby .243 or .257 VANGUARD makes sense too . Caliber isn't a problem. lightbulb

Re-barrel the model 70 in 260 it were me, the model 70 action is the longest of the short actions and could handle the 260 fairly well unless you plan on shooting long 140 gr. bullets exclusively. In that case, you would have to seat bullets deep and may take up a little case capacity with powder and bullets may have to be seated out to the lands and turn the rifle into a 2 shot rifle. That is why I like long actions.
Keep that rifle, it is American made and is a very good, under appreciated rifle action, with a new barrel of a good manufactorer like Douglas would turn it into a tack driver. You will love a 260, the 6.5 cal. performs very well, it just works, gotta love 'em.lightbulb
FE

The push feed Model 70's, at least from the early 90's and back, all used a long action with a shorter mag box and longer bolt stop for the short calibers. You can easily make make a short action into a long by changing these items to the long design.

I rebarreled 2 Model 70 HBV's 1 to 243 and the other to 260. The 260 will do one ragged hole all day long with Sierra 142 SMK's

6mm Remington Improved with a PacNor 3 groove 24" #3 contour 1 in 8 barrel

Pick a gunsmith, have the barrel sent to him and send him your gun

But that's just what I'd do

BTW I've only rebarreled one post 64 but it was a long action from 264 win mag to 375 Ruger. Heavy action but well made.

The push feed Model 70's, at least from the early 90's and back, all used a long action with a shorter mag box and longer bolt stop for the short calibers. You can easily make make a short action into a long by changing these items to the long design.
Greyfox,
I didn't know that about the push feed models, good to know and will make a good action for the 260 Rem. in this case.
I guess Winchester 70 actions are like International tractors, they would change something right in the middle of a production and make it different from all the others and wouldn't work quite like the others.
FE

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts