Re-barrel 7 Rem Mag to .338 for bear hunt?

Jeffrthehunter

I just booked a Alaska brown bear hunt for this fall. I really do not want to build a new gun so this is what I'm thinking. My current largest caliber is a 7RM on Deviant Defiance with Proof Sendero carbon barrel , HS Precision DBM. Question, can I go to a 338 Win Mag and only replace barrel? Is there a better caliber that would also be simple?
Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
You could just rebarrel to .338WM. Other than bullet diameter, case dimensions are virtually the same so feeding would be fine. But if you booked a hunt, you won't be alone so your 7mm RemMag should be fine with a heavy Nosler Partition out of it. If things get "interesting" your guide will have a big gun to back you up.

Will you be hunting with a guide? If so, ask his recommendation. About a yr or 2 ago a thread like this came up about a coming big bear hunt. The OP in that one has a 7mmWSM or maybe it was a 270WSM, I don't remember which. Anyway, I recommended a .338 or a .358, and was promptly chastised by a couple of Canadians for my suggestion. They insisted the WSM (whichever one it was) was plenty of gun. But, again, I would defer to the guides' recommendation. I have a client that went on a guided sheep hunt on Kodiak Island. His guide recommended a .338 or more, because of the presents of the big bears. If you're paying a guide, that's part of what you're paying for, his expertise and recommendations, not just someone to 'show you around' and hopefully lead you to your quarry. Take what you are comfortable with, what your guide recommends and, a back-up gun ain't a bad idea either!

Will you be hunting with a guide? If so, ask his recommendation. About a yr or 2 ago a thread like this came up about a coming big bear hunt. The OP in that one has a 7mmWSM or maybe it was a 270WSM, I don't remember which. Anyway, I recommended a .338 or a .358, and was promptly chastised by a couple of Canadians for my suggestion. They insisted the WSM (whichever one it was) was plenty of gun. But, again, I would defer to the guides' recommendation. I have a client that went on a guided sheep hunt on Kodiak Island. His guide recommended a .338 or more, because of the presents of the big bears. If you're paying a guide, that's part of what you're paying for, his expertise and recommendations, not just someone to 'show you around' and hopefully lead you to your quarry. Take what you are comfortable with, what your guide recommends and, a back-up gun ain't a bad idea either!
Thanks for your thoughts! The guide has said that my 7RM will work but he would feel better if I was shooting a heavier bullet. I currently run 175 AB at 3000 fps, partition bullets for 7mm are also 175 grain.
I am also thinking of going to a 300 WM as I already have loading equipment for that round, would probably go with 200 grain Nosler Partition.
I do my own barrel work so going to a 300 or 338 Win Mag will be pretty easy.

Thanks for your thoughts! The guide has said that my 7RM will work but he would feel better if I was shooting a heavier bullet. I currently run 175 AB at 3000 fps, partition bullets for 7mm are also 175 grain.
I am also thinking of going to a 300 WM as I already have loading equipment for that round, would probably go with 200 grain Nosler Partition.
I do my own barrel work so going to a 300 or 338 Win Mag will be pretty easy.
Bears are really thin skin, thin boned animals. The 7mm would kill it just fine. If you do go .300 Win Mag, I'd use the Barnes 200 grain TSX.

I'm waiting for the man bun wearers to start chanting "Use Berger, its the bestesterist bullet ever" 🤣

Last edited:
Bears are really thin skin, thin boned animals. The 7mm would kill it just fine. If you do go .300 Win Mag, I'd use the Barnes 200 grain TSX.

I'm waiting for the man bun wearers to start chanting "Use Berger, its the bestesterist bullet ever" 🤣
I love your post. I have killed lots of game with Berger and Nosler AB, Berger will not be going with me on a Brown bear hunt!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Defiance action or thread pitch but I'm positive you could sell the barrel when you return from your hunt if you rebarrel to say the 338 Rum or 375 Rum....I would jump on the 375 Rum and a 395 gr. Hammer bullet .
My buddy has his 375 Rum finnished on a Remington action and it shoots the 329 gr and the 395 gr Hammer with great accuracy ! It will be tested on a Bear soon.
Steve from Hammer bullets could set you up I'm sure . I can get my buddy's info if you head that direction .
Just a thought !
Good luck in your choice !

Rum Man

If you can do this yourself it's seems like a good way to go. You effectively have a switch barrel pending future requirements.
As an Aussie I would consider the .338 a reasonable choice. I have a .300wm and may consider the same if I was able to hunt bear.