Re 26 in 300 Rum

this is in a min spec custom spec'd chamber and I would definitely work up!!
95.3gr h1000
CCI250
.010" off
new norma brass full prep
89deg f
4300ft elev
9 twist proof
Thank you. I've been trying in Rem., Nosler and Norma brass with Fed. Match mag primers. Mine is 10 twist.
I haven't went above 94.0 grains H1000 with the 181 Hammer yet because it was shooting so good. No signs of pressure. Ok have to work up to 95 to see what happens .
Thanks !

Thank you. I've been trying in Rem., Nosler and Norma brass with Fed. Match mag primers. Mine is 10 twist.
I haven't went above 94.0 grains H1000 with the 181 Hammer yet because it was shooting so good. No signs of pressure. Ok have to work up to 95 to see what happens .
Thanks !
With a factory chamber i would think 96 gr with a 180 isnt out of reach with maybe 97 possible with a short bearing surface bullet. Have to work it up and see i guess.

With a factory chamber i would think 96 gr with a 180 isnt out of reach with maybe 97 possible with a short bearing surface bullet. Have to work it up and see i guess.
I'm going to for sure. In process of moving outa state. Going to have wait a little while. It's a factory 26 in. Rem 700. Have a New Sendero barrel in going to put on it. Had it threaded 9/16 and put an MBM Lil Beast brake on it. I'm thinking 96.0 also.
Thanks !

Wyo300Rum,

The video in this link was taken a few years ago in New Zealand of my friend, Bud Wright, Stag Hunt.

Watch the whole video, but the shot on the Stag at 12 minutes in is great.

About a year before the hunt he asked me if I would help him work up a load and tune his Rem 300 Ultra Mag for the hunt.

I kind of turned my nose up at the round, thinking just another over bore round.

During the load development, I found out this is a pretty impressive round. I was dead wrong on my first reaction about the RUM.

I tried to get Bud to go with a 180 grain slug, he insisted on the 168 TTSX.

We settled on RE 25 and the thing shoots as well or better than any 300 hunting rifle I have ever shot. Including my Custom 300 WM Mod 70.

So I had to have one. I am a Mod 70 fan, so I chose the Montana Rifle Co. rig.

Now that I got my hands on some RE26, looking forward to seeing how it will shoot from in the Rum with both the 181 Hammers, 175 Barnes and the 168 TTSX.

I have not had much luck with Retumbo in the Rum, but with H1000 I got a load that did very well at 3528 fps avg with the 168 TTSX. 3350 with the 181 Hammers.

Wyo300Rum,

The video in this link was taken a few years ago in New Zealand of my friend, Bud Wright, Stag Hunt.

Watch the whole video, but the shot on the Stag at 12 minutes in is great.

About a year before the hunt he asked me if I would help him work up a load and tune his Rem 300 Ultra Mag for the hunt.

I kind of turned my nose up at the round, thinking just another over bore round.

During the load development, I found out this is a pretty impressive round. I was dead wrong on my first reaction about the RUM.

I tried to get Bud to go with a 180 grain slug, he insisted on the 168 TTSX.

We settled on RE 25 and the thing shoots as well or better than any 300 hunting rifle I have ever shot. Including my Custom 300 WM Mod 70.

So I had to have one. I am a Mod 70 fan, so I chose the Montana Rifle Co. rig.

Now that I got my hands on some RE26, looking forward to seeing how it will shoot from in the Rum with both the 181 Hammers, 175 Barnes and the 168 TTSX.

I have not had much luck with Retumbo in the Rum, but with H1000 I got a load that did very well at 3528 fps avg with the 168 TTSX. 3350 with the 181 Hammers.

Randy
My most accurate powder has been Retumbo for many years. H1000 was good also but lower velocities . I shot the Barnes 180 TSX and TTSX for many years. Was an extremely accurate combo. I Was getting 5 shot less than half inch groups all the time. 3 shots smaller. I killed a Desert Bighorn with a 168 TX in 2003. Only time used anything under 180. I could push 150's over 3600 fps but they were like grenades on deer with cup and core bullets. I've recently got into heavier bullets in all my calibers :)Thanks to you guys:) I've been having good luck with 200 and 212 ELDX. 210 Berger VLD. I know, get the Berger 215. Lol. But recently have been working with only Hammers. I finally got some RL26 and N570 to test but need the time.
Great video !!!

I never have worked up loads with rl26 in my 300 rums (I've got some rl26 but will need a good bit more if I go there-- try to find it lately). I've run up 180's hornady and my brother has run up the 175 sierra tipped-- both bullets with rl25, and the rifles all shot them well. The 225-230 grain pills will probably like rl33 or rl50 best.

Thanks Lefty, I lucked out recently and picked up an 8 pounder of RE26.

Bought it to use when I complete my 6.5 PRC.

But, got to thinking why not try it in the RUM.
That's funny. I lucked out when a friend told me where some RL26 was bout month ago . Got as 8 pounder also. Got it to try it in my 300 rum and 6.5 PRC also. Then try in in 7 rem mag and 300 win mag.

That's funny. I lucked out when a friend told me where some RL26 was bout month ago . Got as 8 pounder also. Got it to try it in my 300 rum and 6.5 PRC also. Then try in in 7 rem mag and 300 win mag.
Works great in 7 rem mag with 160s, 180 berger. I had good speed in 300 win with 180s and 200 but not great accuracy at those high speeds.

Works great in 7 rem mag with 160s, 180 berger. I had good speed in 300 win with 180s and 200 but not great accuracy at those high speeds.
I have some 168 Berger VLD that have bern working good in 7 mag and just got some 175 Bergers . Want to try both with RL26. Have a lot of different bullets to try in 300 win. Because of the 300 rum. The win mag is my lowest priority . Thanks for info !

Guys are also getting ~100fps more than retumbo and H1000 with N570 with the heavier bullets. Steve at Hammer has also found this to be the case. I run the 143 Hammer at 3,600+ in the 7 RUM with RL26 but I don't think you will get a good case filling with the heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts