Re#22 and WXR are they the same

Supposing the rumors are somewhat true, you'd do well to treat it as a different powder and work up your load using safe practices.

I have data from 32F to 100F for RE22 vs h4831sc in my 7RM. RE22 gave slightly higher MV without signs of pressure with the load developed during the summer. But, Hodgdon provided much more consistent MV throughout the temperature range. Accuracy was never a problem for either powder. But, I settled on H4831sc for the temperature stability.

This wasn't a scientific study. But, it convinced me that there was a difference between those 2 powders in my rifle/chambering.

I haven't used Ramshot.

-- richard

I cannot tell any difference in Reloader-22 and Winchester WXR powders.I compared the two and they shot the same,velocity was only 15fps between the two.That is about what you can expect in lot differences.Both powders are made in Sweden and are double-based powder.

I have not found the extreme powders to be stable. I have done my own tests by placing ammo in the freezer and ammo in the oven at 110 degrees. I witnessed spreads of 130fps with the so called temperature in-sensitive powder. I also tried some of the temperature sensitive powders and witnessed about the same spread. From now on, I am gonna use the most accurate powder in a given chambering regardless of brand as I have seen no real benefit with Hodgdon Extreme. I would love to be proved wrong because before I performed the test, I used the extreme powders a lot. Viht high energy powders(N series) proved to be the most stable in my tests.

I have not found the extreme powders to be stable. I have done my own tests by placing ammo in the freezer and ammo in the oven at 110 degrees. I witnessed spreads of 130fps with the so called temperature in-sensitive powder. I also tried some of the temperature sensitive powders and witnessed about the same spread. From now on, I am gonna use the most accurate powder in a given chambering regardless of brand as I have seen no real benefit with Hodgdon Extreme. I would love to be proved wrong because before I performed the test, I used the extreme powders a lot. Viht high energy powders(N series) proved to be the most stable in my tests.

You may be right and I'm not looking to argue.

But like I said... My testing wasn't scientific as it was just load data over a year's timeframe. Nonetheless, it was pretty conclusive for me. And, coincided with what I have heard from many sources. I'm too lazy to dig up the results right now. I have posted them here in the past for others to draw their own conclusions.

Nonetheless, I could see some potential problems with your methodology that may or may not have been present such as condensation that could occur with cases that aren't sitting at ambient temperatures which will absolutely affect chamber pressures.

Whatever you decide, it's best if you'll collect as much dope on your loads as feasible under the specific conditions that you'll be hunting or competing in.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.