RCBS UNIVERSAL CASE PREP CENTER

seidersjoden

I have the RCBS universal case prep center, looking to PM someone that has used it and ask a few questions. For starters I heard there's a few things you have to know to get the most out of it based on reviews.

For example from reviews:
1.- Get the carbide tools!! The tools that come with it will wear out after a few hundred rounds. If you want to really speed things up get an RCBS three way cutter for the calibers you'll be trimming. 2.- Replace the plastic shell holder thumb screws with some brass thumb screws. It's very difficult to torque the plastic thumb screws enough to securely hold the shell holder in place. 3.- Adjust the shaft so that there is NO PLAY in it what-so-ever. Push it all the way towards the cutter guide carriage and make sure there is no gap between the cutter head and bushing. 4.- Using the fine adjustment micrometer, crank the shell holder carrier as far back as it will go. Try to put as much spring tension on the carrier as possible

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/135727/rcbs-universal-case-prep-center-110-volt

Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Joden

I do not own 1 and have not seen it in action but, if what you have listed in the worries why bother with it. It sounds more trouble than it is worth.
A friend has the Hornady unit He loves it, works as advertised.

all depends on what you are doing. How many calibers and what kind of numbers are you trimming.
If you have multible calibers, love gadgets and have deep pockets then the case prep center form hornady second would be the Frankfort arsenal. Lyman has a very good universal (I have been useing 1 since 1983 and have no complaints other than you just have to wear a golf glove on your right hand when doing big numbers). RCBS also makes a lathe style trimmer that is quite popular, again a glove for big numbers.
For just a couple of calibers the Lee hand held with mandrel will serve you for years (this is the 1 I almost always use. I put the chuck in my cordless drill and trim, deburr, and champher you would be amazed at how fast that system is. I have used the Lee quick trim and in my opinion a big waste of money, it works and works well but using a trimmer on my press is a real pain.
Too many options and I know you will get a lot of personal brand bashing and brand propping also, a nice can of worms you opened up here :)

GOrdO said....
"For just a couple of calibers the Lee hand held with mandrel will serve you for years (this is the 1 I almost always use. I put the chuck in my cordless drill and trim, deburr, and champher you would be amazed at how fast that system is..."

I use the Lee trimmers also.... BUT...if you you the mandrel and not use the shell holder then you could be over trimming your case...I found that out a while back.....just trimming as usual and decided to check case length...just a bit short......the end that goes through the primer pocket out the back needs to stop at the base not go past it...

I like the RCBS trim pro. For large volume jobs I use their 3-way cutter and have it hooked to an electric drill. I can trim, chamfer, and de-burr about 250 cases per hour. I HATE trimming cases, so I usually do about 20-50 at a time, then mess with something else for a while. I only have chamfer pilots for .22, 6mm, 6.5mm, and .30; the calibers I trim outside of this I shoot low volume and use the appropriate regular pilot and then chamfer by hand after I have trimmed/de-burred them. Other than for 223, this set up is really probably overkill for the relatively small amount of trimming I do, but like I said, I hate trimming and this saves me a lot of time.

I like the RCBS trim pro. For large volume jobs I use their 3-way cutter and have it hooked to an electric drill. I can trim, chamfer, and de-burr about 250 cases per hour. I HATE trimming cases, so I usually do about 20-50 at a time, then mess with something else for a while. I only have chamfer pilots for .22, 6mm, 6.5mm, and .30; the calibers I trim outside of this I shoot low volume and use the appropriate regular pilot and then chamfer by hand after I have trimmed/de-burred them. Other than for 223, this set up is really probably overkill for the relatively small amount of trimming I do, but like I said, I hate trimming and this saves me a lot of time.
Thanks Jaoey

Hi Seidersjoden.
Well, I own the UCPC and have done some cases so far.
I have to admitt, I found out only last night that the screws fixing the shell holder are made of plastic. I was already wondering, why my cases turned out longer and longer...
Anyway, after that, I can't complain about the UCPC, for me it works fine. The deburring could be better, but to give it a manual finish is not such a great deal.
Regards from Switzerland

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.