RCBS Trimmer?

dk17hmr

I have the old style RCBS trimmer, the one with the collets. How do you get consistant case lenghts when you have to turn the handle to release the case from the collet? It changes every time because they never get tighted down the same.

Its bothering me, I am tryin to trimmer some 300 WSM brass and I am getting inconsistant lenghts.

I have one, heres what I do. For any of the calibers I have, I take one case, mic it to make sure its within limits, and I mark as "master' and keep it in the die box. When time comes to trim, I use that case to set up my trimmer. Slip into the cullet, slide the cutter head in place and lock it down with the set screws.

Works for me. Of course I'm not loading hundres of rounds at a time either.

I have the old style RCBS trimmer, the one with the collets. How do you get consistant case lenghts when you have to turn the handle to release the case from the collet? It changes every time because they never get tighted down the same.

Its bothering me, I am tryin to trimmer some 300 WSM brass and I am getting inconsistant lenghts.

I have the same trimmer, with the collet case holder. When I tighten it on a case, I try to use the same pressure tightening the collet. Generally the tightening t-handle will be in approximately in the same position. Then trim and deburr. I measure the length of every case with digital calipers. Most are the same within .0005-.001. Every once-in-a-while one is a bit long (maybe .002). Then it goes back in the trimmer and I use just a bit more pressure on the t-handle and also the cutter handle. That usually brings it down to match the rest. I have done a lot of 100 cases at a time and had them all within .002.

-- gr8whyt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.