RCBS sizing die question

MT257

I was recently using my sizing die to size some 6.5 Creedmoor and noticed multiple scratches on the case after coming out of the die. I took the die apart and it looked dirty so i cleaned it and you can clearly see lines on the inside of the die. I ran a qtip on them and in areas you could see it snagging some of the lines. Is this normal? Is this something that I should be worried bout? Will RCBS replace the die or fix the issue?

A dirt spec is enough to scratch the metal on the interior of the sizing die? The metal is that soft?

After trimming, chamfer and deburr case mouth. The expander can knock small specks of brass off that stick to die. Added, next loading.

Dies are easily honed larger in the neck area, not as hard as most think.

Last edited:
After trimming, chamfer and deburr case mouth. The expander can knock small specks of brass off that stick to die.

Dies are easly honed larger in the neck area, not as hard as most think.

I guess in my routine i do not trim, chamfer and deburr after after sizing so, would this be able to take this out of the question?

Brass should be full length sized, before trimming.
correct my initial comment should have read I dont do those things until after full length sizing, my mistake. So if trimming after sizing there should be no burrs on the fired brass?

Dirt or grime will indeed scratch the inside of your dies. With that being said rcbs is awesome on the terms of customer support . Call them they will tell ya what they want you to do as far as sending it in .

I once had this happen to me. I used 0000 steel wool on a wood dowel inserted in a hand drill and I polished the die. Worked good.
Had same issue, used 2000 grit paper with a dowel, no more problem, clean dies and brass before sizing to avoid any future issues

I was recently using my sizing die to size some 6.5 Creedmoor and noticed multiple scratches on the case after coming out of the die. I took the die apart and it looked dirty so i cleaned it and you can clearly see lines on the inside of the die. I ran a qtip on them and in areas you could see it snagging some of the lines. Is this normal? Is this something that I should be worried bout? Will RCBS replace the die or fix the issue?
RCBS MAY REPLACE the die or the store where you purchased might be a better bet as RCBS MAY take the opinion that you put contaminated case or cases thru it. I have had very good help from them in the past however when needed!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.