RCBS dies?

coop2564

Just started using them on a 6.5 PRC and about 1 out of every 15 I resize is getting stuck. Using one shot lube and tried Cabela's lube. Is this common with them? any tricks? or might the die be bad?
Using Hornady cases.

Use a nylon brush of the same diameter to brush the inside of the neck. Get a small amount of Imperial Wax on your fingers and wipe the body of the case. Do not get any of the shoulder or neck of the case. Lubricate the inside of the case neck by dipping in Motor Mica. There are also lubricating kits containing a lubricating pad sold by RCBS, Lyman and Redding. STP, available at most car parts suppliers, also works with a lubricating pad. When using the pad kits, clean and lubricate in inside of the neck as described above.

Questions. One Shot instructions are to ensure the die is clean of all other kinds of lube and then to give the interior of the die a shot. Also, are you spraying all sides, and into the neck of the brass. And allowing to dry for a minute or two before sizing?

What do you need for it?

Questions. One Shot instructions are to ensure the die is clean of all other kinds of lube and then to give the interior of the die a shot. Also, are you spraying all sides, and into the neck of the brass. And allowing to dry for a minute or two before sizing?
Yes on all sides and taking a brush with it into necks. But not spraying into die itself. Never done that with other dies and never had this many stick.

Yes on all sides and taking a brush with it into necks. But not spraying into die itself. Never done that with other dies and never had this many stick.
You are as bad as I was (LOL) until I read the instructions after messing up several cases.

(excerpted from can's instructions);
Directions: SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE
1. Degrease sizing die and thoroughly clean inside of die, removing prior case lubricant.....etc.
2. After initial cleaning, spray a light coat of ONE SHOT inside the die and allow a few seconds to dry.
4. yada yada yada,...Note: When spraying case in a loading block, spray at a 45 degree angle. This allows the spray to enter the case mouth as well as lubricate the entire exterior of the case......etc

My additional (not on the can) advice is to gently wipe the neck of the shell before sizing to remove excess ONE SHOT. I found I was over spraying them and was creating 'dimples' due to the excess lube.

Hope this fixes the problem.

PS: Am stuck at home with nothing to do but read instructions.

I had this problem this year.

I stuck 3 cases in ten tries... was ready to give up forever.

SHAKE the can really well....30 seconds.

Then SOAK the cases. I go from 8 directions. North, east, south, west. Then i do NE, SE, SW, NW.

also take your die apart and hose it down with carb cleaner. Let dry and then soak it with one shot.

Been perfect ever since.

I think I had an older can and didn't shake the can enough.

Shake and Shake and Shake.... spray. Never stuck a case with One Shot.

...just jinxed that huh.....

like this???

Attachments

• 1617750170156.png
    1617750170156.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 68
Did you clean the die prior to starting using it? I also polish the expanders in RCBS dies, it makes the transition back through the neck much slicker. You can polish it AND make it the size you want.
I run powdered graphite in my necks with a brush, this helps to eliminate sticky expanders AND bullet weld.
I will give you a tip...throw that one shot can in the garbage.
I use 100% Bees Wax, very lightly rub it on with your fingers.
It cleans off easily with a rag.
Have never had a stuck case using it, it's virtually like Imperial, which also contains bees wax.

Cheers.

Did you clean the die prior to starting using it? I also polish the expanders in RCBS dies, it makes the transition back through the neck much slicker. You can polish it AND make it the size you want.
I run powdered graphite in my necks with a brush, this helps to eliminate sticky expanders AND bullet weld.
I will give you a tip...throw that one shot can in the garbage.
I use 100% Bees Wax, very lightly rub it on with your fingers.
It cleans off easily with a rag.
Have never had a stuck case using it, it's virtually like Imperial, which also contains bees wax.

Cheers.
yes I cleaned the die. I did not shake the can. nor have I loading any other cases in other dies. But I will give it a try and spray in die, this is my first can of one shot that I've used. Been using Lee's case lube for years which is more like a wax. My BIL quit reloading and gave me 3 cans of one shot so I thought I would try it, I think maybe it was my lack of spraying in die and shaking than the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.