RCBS Chargemaster Q

royinidaho

For several years my Chargemaster has been reading 350.7 following calibration when the powder dish is placed on the scale.

All of a sudden the the reading has dropped to 350.3. Everything is clean.

My calibration bullets weights remain accurate following zero set.

Am I seeing the beginning of a trend?????

Roy, I remember a while back reading something about re programming this scale. I can't remember the specifics but something along the lines that at some point the scale may act up and only needs a simple re programming. I believe you can do this yourself as well. I'll search around a little and see if I can find it.

The scale pan is getting lighter as you wear it down through handling from the bunch of reloading you do! :D

I also saw instructions somewhere and will see if I can find them...

Roy, I've looked all over and can't find a thing regarding this. The only programming info I could find had more to do with feed rates and similiar. Interestingly, I found a write up that Mikecr did on 6mm regarding some programming. You might PM him and see if he has an idea about it.

Ok, here it is - this is from the South African Hunting Rifle Shootign Association website (SAhuntingrifle.co.za) where it was posted by a user on the forums. I don't know if this works and I can't and don't accept any responsibility for your results!

Good luck!

WL

"A while ago the friend of mine phoned me regarding his RCBS Chargemaster combo scale. Up to then I have not taken much notice of my own scale, but he informed me that his scale was charging extremely slow. I timed mine and found that mine was running a lot faster then his. This set me on a journey to find out why there was a difference. The outcome however was that his scale was defective, but it gave us insightfull information about the working of these scales.

After doing some research on the internet I was able to determine that these little green scales are fully re-programmable. I sent an e-mail to RCBS on which I received no reply, and eventually telephoned them. They were very helpful and gave me their instructions on how to change the programming on this scale.

This has made a tremendous difference in my reloading experience with this scale. The scale is fully adjustable and there are many settings and that you can change. To enter the program mode pres EDIT MEM and ENTER at the same time. After making an adjustment pres ENTER to go to the next option. After the last setting the scale will reset and countdown. If you passed a setting you have to start from the beginning, there is no back button.

This is the list of settings that you can make to your scale, for some of the functions I do not have detailed instructions as to what they do, and would recommend that you do not change them:
HSB_A1 (15.68) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for low weight
HSB_B1 (3.42) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed low weight
BSP_C1 (1.08) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed low weight

MSP_A2 (39.20) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for medium weight
MSP_B2 (8.55) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed medium weight
MSP_C2 (2.25) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed medium weight

SSP_A3 (196.00) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for heavy weight

SSP_B3 (42.75) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed heavy weight
SSP_C3 (11.32) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed heavy weight

SEL (065) ???
F_A (050) Grains for a Heavy Charge
M_A (035) Grains for a Medium charge
S_A (006) Grains for a slow charge
W_F (200) Rotation for Full speed
W_M (100) Rotation for Medium speed
W_S (036) Rotation for slowest speed

S_F (012) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s fast speed
S_M (024) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s medium speed
S_S (128) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s slow speed.

FR1 (040) ?
FS1 (016) ?
FR2 (080) ?
SR1 (032) ?
SS1 (008) ?
SR2 (040) ?
DEC (000) ?
AT (000) ?

I have to advise you to only make changes to your scale if you are confident to do so, and remember that there is not a "return to default" setting in the scale. If all else fails return your scale to the default settings listed above in brackets.
I am now able to throw 56 grains of S365 in less than 18 seconds (average of 15 charges), and with very few overthrows.

Another problem I experienced with the scale was that there were continued overthrows. The RCBS employee advised me to take a McDonnell's straw (because it is thicker than a normal straw), cut off about a half inch piece and put it into the tube where the powder exits. This caused the last part of an extruded powder to clutter less, and reduced the amount of overthrows dramatically.

I hope you have more joy a with your scale now.
If you have any other suggestions or recommendations on how to improve the functionality of this scale please reply on this topic"

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.