rcbs case master guaging tool vs hornady concentricity tool

squeeeeze

Looking to get a tool to measure bullet and neck runout. Considering the two would I be better off with the RCBS do all or the Hornady and buy a ball micrometer to measure wall thickness?

Or would I be better off buying a separate ball micrometer to measure necks either way? Wasn't sure just how accurate the RCBS one would be with the V-blocks. Seems the RCBS overall has a lot of different functions but pretty mixed reviews with the V-blocks and seems to take some tweeking to get to measure accurately for the runout.

What do ya reccomend that is reasonably priced? Both on the shelf at my local Sportsman's Warehouse but have to order the ball micrometer.

Seems as though most of the reviews I read about the V bars and even the rollers on the Sinclair are pretty much all the same in that their tricky and quirky to figure out. I read one on the RCBS where a guy took a Popsicle stick and glued a wide rubber band to it to use for a roller for the cases to apply even pressure. I like the look of that 21st with the roller, seems as though it would address all the issues I've read about having to figure out how to apply that even and consistent pressure.

Hi Squeeeeze...did I get enough ee's in there?:)

I have both and prefer the Hornady to the RCBS. I like the ability to correct the runout problem with the thumbscrew on the Hornady, and I find the Hornady easy to use. The two different guages use different points of reference for measuring run out, the Hornady suspending the Cartridge between the tip and base and measuring the runout just forward of the case mouth on the bullet. The RCBS measures the runnout on the bulllet in virtually the same location but the case sits on v-blocks and rotates there so the measurement is taken referencing the case sides versus the bullet, a bit diffferent from the Hornady. The RCBS gives you the capability to test cases only for runout, a feature you may like/need and like you mentioned it has the ability to measure case neck thickness, although I don't particularly like this feature as I have some large 300WM cases that are too heavy at the end and I can't use this feature on the RCBS for these cases. (When you let go of the case they are too heavy and tip down at the base making the measurement unusable)

Regards,
Trapper458

I have owned both the rcbs case master gauging tool and the hornady concentricity tool. Didn't like the Hornady; still have the RCBS Gauge.

I should have mentioned that I initially purchased the Hornady because I was led to believe that it could be used to "straighten" a bullet that was not concentric with the brass. While that appears to be true and with a bit of practice I could move bullets laterally with some degree of accuracy, mastering the practice was frustrating for me. Also, IMO, once the bullet is started into the case neck tension (which is progressive as the bullet seats further) is already partially established. Moving the bullet laterally after that point stretches the sides of the neck making them irregular and creates uneven neck tension. Straightening the bullet after it's started into the neck interrupts neck tension which affects accuracy just as much as having the bullet slighting skewed (+/- .001) so I didn't find the tool to be as useful as some suggest.

Straightening the bullet after it's started into the neck interrupts neck tension which affects accuracy just as much as having the bullet slighting skewed (+/- .001) so I didn't find the tool to be as useful as some suggest.

Hi FearNoWind,

I usually sort and correct anything over .001-.002 runout, perhaps I'm not as precise as you are on runout. I think the tool is valuable for rounds over my cull limit and would be interested if you have any data to support the statement that straightening the neck affects accuracy as much as straightening it.

Regards,
Trapper458

I'll Primarily be using the tool to measure runout not nessessarily to fix it. If I have a lot of runout I'll try to find the root of the cause and fix it. Like Fearnowind stated about stretching necks, I have been reading the same claims and has me a bit aprehensive about altering runout. I am very concerned about consistent neck tension. Seems to be neck consistent tension is one of the most important aspects. I'm using Redding S type dies with micrometer and vld seating plug because of this.

Just looking for the best and easiest most consistent tool for measuring.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.