RCBS 5-0-5 problems.

gohring3006

If I tap the scale and let it settle, I can get different results. I'm to the point where I have to tap it two or three times to make sure it stops on the line a couple of times before I trust it. I have verified once i do the tap thing a few times and get it to hit on the line, the weight is good, with a electronic scale.
Any tricks to true this thing up, short of sending it back to RCBS?

Make sure the pivot arms and the saddles they sit in are clean. I had the same problem with a 5-10. When I level my scale I lightly tap it up and down making sure it returns to zero.

also, make sure the powder is level in the pan... I've seen a couple tenths of a grain swing if I let the powder hover to one side or the other

I agree with Predator 22. Check the V rests and the knife edges on the beam pivots. A small piece of dirt in the V or a slight burr on one of the 2 knife edges can cause a lot of problem. The scale will not work smooth and return accurately.
I have worked on the knife edge of a few scales with a fine stone and made for better weighing with them. Good Luck on a cause and cure.

I agree with previous comments that you should check the pivot. Mine is about 40 years old and would require cleaning the pivot edge and saddle with some alchohol on a Q-Tip periodically to keep it working smoothly and accurately. A little dust or grime will produce the symptoms you are experiencing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.