RCBS 5-0-5 and precision loads...

gohring3006

Just thought I would share my newest technique for getting precision loads from my
5-0-5. I have found my scale zero wanders off about .3 grains over 30-40 rounds....
I'm pretty sure it's just from vibration from the powder measure operation and just from dropping powder in the pan, and whatever else is going on in the house... So I engineered a way to stop the zero screw from moving. I must say it works awesome!! Thinking about contacting the US Patent office..:rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 100
Nice. I like it. Haha. I drilled a tiny hole in my table about 1/8" deep, just small enough the adjustment leg would rest in it a 1/16" or so. It stays in place quite nicely now, and keeps it's zero well. I have the 5-10. :)

I was confused as to why it was happening. So I took a sharpie and marked the adjustment screw and the shelf it sit on. And I started loading, and sure enough the screw was backing off. I like your idea of indexing the screw head so it doesn't move, so I might steel your idea for that, and also add a jam nut instead of the tape so it won't back off...

I've used the same one since 1975 and have never had a single issue with it ever.. I set it each time I start loading and have never noticed it change. I load all my hunting rounds with it from 223 to .338 win mag and at least 40 other cartridges inbetween... Also my Borden built 6ppc bench rifle and 6.5/47 L...they shoot one holders all day long... It's not that I can't buy anyone I want, I have two electronic ones my kids bought me as presents a and they are still in their factory wrapping... I just like to use it and wouldn't trade it for anything...best money I ever spent

I really like mine, in fact I bought two of them.
I just noticed it backing off, the adjustment screw is very easy to turn. Coupled with the weight of the scale resting on a little screw head, just dumping powder in the pan caused it to screw down slightly. Not really a big deal since I caught it.
If I didn't catch it, I would have been driving myself crazy when I get the Chrony out and measure E.S....

I do think that people who all of a sudden get groups that open, should check the scale first.

Ive got the 10-10 model. I drilled 4 holes in my basement wall ( where my reloading room is located) and put 4 anchors in them to which I have 2 "L" brackets scewed into that support a piece of 1 x 8 shelving that my 10-10 sits on. Nothing near it that can cause any sort of vibration....nice and solid.

I have had my 5-0-5 for around 35 years. It was the first powder scale that I ever bought and I have a 10-10 also but I use the 5-0-5 most of the time. I zero it every time I load. I do all my powder measuring and filling the cases then move on to bullet seating. Never had a problem with any of my loads. If even my hunting rifles don't shoot bug holes it is not the load it is the shooter. :D Some times I have to tighten up on the nut behind the butt plate.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.