RCBS 1500 Powder Dispenser Pros/Cons

Great tool. Learn how to program and its even better. Lots of tips on accurateshooter. Going to purchase a second to really speed things up. No cons unless you are super measuring anal. Winthin 1/2 grain they are great.

How long does it take for the RCBS to warm up after turning it on?
Are you guys adding a straw to the end of the powder chute to help with powder flow?
How long does it take for the RCBS to dispense a programmed load?

My dispenser takes 10 minutes to warm up.
Mine dispenser is fairly accurate when dispensing.
Mine dispenser takes quite a while to dispense a programmed load.
Thanks

I normally let it warm up 20-30 minutes, then check accuracy/reset.

The straw works well, need to experiment with cut angles for best performance.

30 seconds on average, that's after speeding up the settings.

I usually use mine immediatly, and it's been rock solid consistent. I would advise not keeping it out though, the less dust exposure the better. When I'm done using it, it goes right back in it's foam padded box it came in.

As far as speed.....after it dispenses a charge (and you pour it into a case) you put the empty powder tray back on the scale, which it quickly re- zeros and starts to dispense again. By the time Im done seating the bullet and inspecting the round, it's ready.

BUT, I do check every weight on the display screen before I grab the tray. Big cylinder shape powders ( h4350, retumbo, etc.) is harder to trickle and get exact. There is a sensitivity setting on the unit to accommodate this. You also can place a straw on the trickle port ( great idea, not mine, somebody on this forum) which is supposed to even the flow when the unit slows down and starts to trickle the powder near the end of the pre-set charge. Or Just set the unit about .1 -.4 grains light then just LIGHTLY tap the powder spout, which makes the powder come out one granule at a time, to the desired charge.

Ball powders or smaller granule powders ( ramshot magnum, h380, etc.) are exact every time.

I usually use mine immediatly, and it's been rock solid consistent. I would advise not keeping it out though, the less dust exposure the better. When I'm done using it, it goes right back in it's foam padded box it came in.

As far as speed.....after it dispenses a charge (and you pour it into a case) you put the empty powder tray back on the scale, which it quickly re- zeros and starts to dispense again. By the time Im done seating the bullet and inspecting the round, it's ready.

BUT, I do check every weight on the display screen before I grab the tray. Big cylinder shape powders ( h4350, retumbo, etc.) is harder to trickle and get exact. There is a sensitivity setting on the unit to accommodate this. You also can place a straw on the trickle port ( great idea, not mine, somebody on this forum) which is supposed to even the flow when the unit slows down and starts to trickle the powder near the end of the pre-set charge. Or Just set the unit about .1 -.4 grains light then just LIGHTLY tap the powder spout, which makes the powder come out one granule at a time, to the desired charge.

Ball powders or smaller granule powders ( ramshot magnum, h380, etc.) are exact every time.

I bought a soft cover for mine off e-bay I think it was???

Well I am new to this reloading and I bought the biggest kit RCBS had.I have someone helping me my 1st time and he has been doing it for a long time.He loved the chargemaster.And after he told me how he had to do it.I love it to.I dont need no warmup time.

I suggest a warm up, no airflow in the room (fan or heat vent) and check every time. I have found I off by 2 grains between power up. If loading max this could prove to be an issue.

Probably also a good idea to double check the accuracy on longer reloading sessions with the calibration weights that come with it. Not necessarily re calibrating it again, like in the beginning, but just place them on the tray to make sure it's still accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts